Arm Sync

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
U_Front.gif

Edy

May 24, 2010
Jaysz,

The youtube video is no longer available so I'm assuming the young lady in the GIF is you DD
IMO her timing is not bad.. But the most important is she's not decelerating the upper arm by brusing it. And by brushing I mean bumping, but not too hard at the point you would hurt the elbow. To do that she'll have to close the hips a little more (she is keeping hips open to clear the arm path .. not good)

Her arm flexion is decent and I believe that including the brushing will do more good to velocity than messing with the the glove thing.

Just my opinion though

Best for you and your DD

Edy

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think the lower arm could relax more. Pull the lower arm and ball down and into whip. She seems a little stiff or forced in her motion. Allow whip to happen--don't make it happen.

JaysDD.jpg

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
What goes up... must come down. Might try to get a little more elevation with the glove side.

Looks like she's cupping her wrist into the release... I'd recommend some Frenchman's kiss finishes. Take a look at the Ueno gif above as a reference. The inability to pronate the forearm... or finish palm down... is making this kid miss the whip a little.

Edy

May 24, 2010
Here is a rear of the brush. http://youtu.be/yNX2DHpZ1pg

Jaysz,

Brushing only helps if you have a relaxed and bent arm. It seems to me DD has too much tension in the arm
Think of the motion of a ball kick. If you try it with a stiff leg - no matter how much flexion you have - there will be no acceleration in the lower segment

And that's why I don't like the term "brushing". In fact the upper arm comes to a sudden and complete stop for a fraction of time allowing the flexed lower arm to accelerate up to the release point. Just after the release the upper arm moves with the lower arm and the group decelerates (follow through)

The clip of Amanda in the first page shows exactly what I mean.
For me this is the best "brushing" clip EVER.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I just recently received a couple of messages regarding advocating a palm down finish... and want to take a moment to better describe what it is and why we're doing it.

One of the best traits in a young pitcher that I come across is the interest to perform the movement with 100% of total effort. When I watch the video of this kid I get the feeling that she's really trying to juice these throws.

Anyone that has had a kid of their own to work with... or other kids... quickly realizes that many of those pitchers reach a plateau around the ages of 14 and 15. Their body becomes accustomed to the effort that they have practiced with over the years.

My better half... Board Member... once posted the quote "loose as a goose and full of juice." When you watch Yukiko throw... there's no doubt about what that means... and there is no doubt she finishes palm down.

Internal rotation is a movement that occurs in the shoulder. Combining palm up with this allows us to create a lag position of the ball... in reference to our upper arm. If all we're doing is throwing with a skipping stones motion... then we are throwing the ball sidearm. Between the shoulder and the ball lies the elbow. If we want to finish palm down like Yukiko... then we need to allow a motion in the elbow to take place... i.e pronation.

If all we did was ask this kid to try to be loose and whippy... we'd be asking her to perform the motion without one of her single greatest attributes... effort. Her body needs to learn to stabilize these forces against maximum effort.

Asking a kid to finish palm down... to the target... will create a throw that is loose as a goose and full of juice... all the while allowing her to maintain maximum effort.

Edit:

The phrases loose and whippy or relaxed... can at times be the antithesis of what pitching is... which is a strength and power output sport. As an example:

99% of the time when a kid is asked to relax or be loose and whippy on the next throw... it results in a throw with much less velocity/effort. As it relates to this kid... she understands how to load the whip... and create a lag position... and internally rotate... all the while doing so with full effort. She doesn't need a full make over... just needs to better chain energy passed the elbow... and catch the whip.

If you are familiar with BM's bat drill... compare the bottom of his circle with the bottom of hers... it should be crystal clear

Imagine asking a girl to slowly sprint... after you're done filming that disaster... and you compare it to her trying to sprint at full effort... you will easily see that the mechanics and muscle firing sequences... and everything that makes sprinting, "sprinting", is no longer there... when she does it at less effort. If, however, you start isolating specific movements within the full effort sequence... you can make very fast improvements... as you gave her an instruction with context to the activity she is performing. Hope that helps...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Every few months, I find a new take on what I previously believed to be true then wonder how/why I didn't get it before. It will take some digesting and processing, but I assume I will get there with this challenge as well!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Ken hope you & JJ seen I had the answer (.gif) he referenced. :cool:

I posted for OP to look @ a no leg slap. I saved it to my files because of what she does with foot just after landing. Then up to knee..(might explain the brace) The foot stays toe to target...I'm thinking the knee is yielding to invite the hip to the arm circle...Sluggers said something about bringing the hip to the elbow to brush...:rolleyes:

U_Front_90.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad