Arm Sync

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2015
Ok guys, we have been working pretty hard the last few days and her velocity is up big time. Woo hoo. Two things that we are working on and talking about while doing full speed walk ins are, keep your arm loose and use your left shoulder (she is a lefty) to transfer the energy down to your fingers. When this is done correctly her fast ball is better then it has ever been. This afternoon we will be practicing to try and be more consistent with these mechanics. If I can capture her doing them properly I will post a new video tonight. Stay posted and thanks for all of the great advice!

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Just posting show some progress. There are still things that we need to work on that's for sure. But the arm sync and over lap is getting better. http://youtu.be/mjAZ5Mdzagg

Great improvement! In the latest clip she is pretty darn close to getting off of the rubber at 3 o'clock where as in the 2/28 clip it was closer to 12 o'clock. Looking at the two clips it seems the big difference is that she is now driving forward well before her back swing stops going back. Did not appear to be nearly as early in the 2/28 clip (the dark light and black clothes do make it a little harder to see). Nice work!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'd suggest some time spent watching this video to improve drive sequence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUkiavW-o4

Questions to ask yourself when reviewing it:
-Which way should the hips be moving as the stride heel drops and the arms initiate backswing?
-How can the sliding/centering move help initiate/promote the torso leaning/moving forward
-What is the role of the stride leg in the drive sequence?
-What is the role and action of the stride leg going into release?

As JS noted earlier, I still see a pretty stiff arm and cupped wrist with almost no sign of upper arm lock and transfer of energy into whip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T4Jd7GKg5Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqNnDS2YYzc

Note how JS demonstrates upper arm pausing at the side and how the elbow is tucked behind the hip. Also, how getting up on pointe with the stride foot helps bring the hip into a better position to receive the arm for brush. Here are some examples of this:
Brush.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Watch how this pitcher uses the rearward weight shift onto the back foot to initiate the lean. As she is taking a step backwards and down into the ground she is also unweighting her front foot and moving/leaning forward. There is a point that if she doesn't hit the gas with the drive foot, she'll fall on her nose...

ConsciousFastAlligator.gif

Your DD is shifting most of her weight back onto her heel, then she initiates a slow fall. Jam the back foot into the ground while falling forward (overlap?) Hopefully JS can stop by and clean up anything I've misconstrued.

Compare the sequence you your DD:
JasonDrive.JPG

Notice that her hips don't start moving forward until the fourth frame:

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2015
Watch how this pitcher uses the rearward weight shift onto the back foot to initiate the lean. As she is taking a step backwards and down into the ground she is also unweighting her front foot and moving/leaning forward. There is a point that if she doesn't hit the gas with the drive foot, she'll fall on her nose...

ConsciousFastAlligator.gif

Your DD is shifting most of her weight back onto her heel, then she initiates a slow fall. Jam the back foot into the ground while falling forward (overlap?) Hopefully JS can stop by and clean up anything I've misconstrued.

Compare the sequence you your DD:
View attachment 9998

Notice that her hips don't start moving forward until the fourth frame:

Great information Ken. We are going back to the lock it in drills along with the 9' o'clock for now. I am thinking we should focus on that first before focusing harder on drive mechanics. Does that sound like a good plan of attack?

Apr 12, 2015
Does that sound like a good plan of attack?

Depends on your personal philosophy. Some people like the build the whole motion at once, others in parts. Personally, I prefer to perfect the whip and move backwards in the pitching motion from there. Basically I just follow the progression BM laid out long ago in the IR in the Classroom thread.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I second DNeeld's advice, but would say it's ok to work on drive without a ball.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55