Arm Sync

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Great information Ken. We are going back to the lock it in drills along with the 9' o'clock for now. I am thinking we should focus on that first before focusing harder on drive mechanics. Does that sound like a good plan of attack?

Don't underestimate how much a broken drive mechanic will continue to hamper her at release. No problem with going back and cleaning up IR, but as her arm strength improves, it could start to mask the drive issue and make it more difficult to fix later.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
here is a short video of DD doing pitch to glove hope it helps.

Merrill,

That's a long and lanky arm there! With the fantastic arm action that this girl has, is she avoiding BRUSH-ASSISTED arm-whip? I would think rotating that hip a bit prior to release (i.e., rotate the hip a little to where the arm will be at release) will intensify her arm-whip action. Just curious.

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
Merrill,

That's a long and lanky arm there! With the fantastic arm action that this girl has, is she avoiding BRUSH-ASSISTED arm-whip? I would think rotating that hip a bit prior to release (i.e., rotate the hip a little to where the arm will be at release) will intensify her arm-whip action. Just curious.

The long Arm, yep, I hear you, she is now starting to get a little more bend and shorten up from 12 to release, a work in progress.
Brush assisted arm whip, trying she does, but like previous comment, is a work in progress.

Just last night she was showing me redness of the forearm from the brush, and she is able to recognize, at least she will tell me that she didn't get brush after a pitch.

I guess ultimately I am trying to get her to understand and feel what it is more than me standing back and mindlessly telling her to "quit messing around and throw strikes".

The hip well that kind of goes to Bill H. and throwing across the body, also see comment below.

I tend to have her exaggerate some aspects of a drill to find middle ground when she is throwing to a catcher. Like staying completely open to throw across the body during drills, but she will bring the hip around slightly when throwing to catcher. This came about because she had started closing early and having to throw around her hip.

It does look a lot better with a real pitch, she tends to focus on the glove with the exercise.

When she started this journey 3 years ago, she is now 13, I didn't know what I was doing and had no idea how to get there. But with people like you, and the rest of the great people of DFP, I have come to understand a little more everyday.

Thank you very much for the feedback and will post some new video soon, she has been working hard on her legs, getting a powerful drive. So very proud of this young lady.

Feb 25, 2016
Who came up with the windmill anyway? Why is it so hard to pitch a softball that it takes 1-2 years to add 20-30mph to your pitch? Most baseball players can try a pitch for the first time and only be 10mph off their max potential. They need to allow submarining and just move the mound back to 60ft. I'm now able to submarine a pitch within 6" from the hip, but I don't want my girls to pitch that way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse