Arm speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I would say timing the arms with the legs is most important. But it's really to each instructor what they thing would improve the student. There are some younger students that I would say improved timing & drive by having them practice faster arm circles with no ball. The faster they moved the arm the more they pushed out. The arm circle became smoother and naturally led into I/R. Not saying that's the case with every student. But I wouldn't say that arm speed shouldn't be worked on.

Got it, Thanks for the follow up. I am only a coach of 1 DD :), so i dont have the experience with all the students. As with anything else, it is not cookie cutter instructions for so many different types of kids.

In the original post, it stated the kids were 'guiding the ball' i guess maybe i should have asked what that meant.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In the original post, it stated the kids were 'guiding the ball' i guess maybe i should have asked what that meant.
[/QUOTE]

They are aiming the ball. I want them to just pitch.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Looking back at the journey with my DD, the arm circle progressed in speed along with improved form, drive mechanics and strength she got from just being older. It seemed to me it was only a focus with HE coaches.

Sorry if i am off base on this.
[/QUOTE]
You are correct. We got thrown into games, too quickly and they had bad instruction, last year. They are coming around, but they lack being able to retain, what I am teaching. I am imploring the parents to catch for them, at home.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
You are correct. We got thrown into games, too quickly and they had bad instruction, last year. They are coming around, but they lack being able to retain, what I am teaching. I am imploring the parents to catch for them, at home.
[/QUOTE]

And if at all possible to video. I know i had a hard time catching for DD and trying to analyze on the fly. We now always have something to work on and goto the video to review. At least in the working sessions. In just pitching sessions, she has to figure out what she is doing and fix by feel.

At the earlier ages, i dont think i could have understood much of anything without the video review. DD hated video to start, but now actually sees benefit in it.

Jul 22, 2015
This may be a dumb comment or question, but is it necessary to focus on arm speed at this level vs making sure the mechanics are there? If you practice whipping the arm around a circle with no brush, isn't that promoting an incorrect arm path? Again, i could be missing something and way off base, but i think at the younger age things like that come secondary to proper technique.

Looking back at the journey with my DD, the arm circle progressed in speed along with improved form, drive mechanics and strength she got from just being older. It seemed to me it was only a focus with HE coaches.

Sorry if i am off base on this.

That (arm path) is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the double or triple arm circles. The best way to learn to move faster is to move faster. Use long toss and especially walk/run-throughs to promote a faster circle. Also, throwing into a tarp or net at a short distance without concern for the location of the ball can really help them work on mechanics at full speed without trying to "control" the ball.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Increase arm speed by improving sequence. The two step sequence is very good at delaying the arm circle relative to the drive, which forces the arm circle to speed up. Trying to improve arm speed without improving sequence will create poor release timing.

Nov 29, 2009
That (arm path) is one of the reasons I'm not a fan of the double or triple arm circles. The best way to learn to move faster is to move faster. Use long toss and especially walk/run-throughs to promote a faster circle. Also, throwing into a tarp or net at a short distance without concern for the location of the ball can really help them work on mechanics at full speed without trying to "control" the ball.

The three circle drill is not something to be used all the time. It is a tool to get the young pitchers an idea of how fast they can/must move their arm. If a girl does not know what it feels like to move their at their maximum velocity you can do all the long toss in the world it will not help. And believe me I am a huge proponent of long toss and run throughs.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I am asking for my team. They are 9 and are still guiding the ball. I am looking for new tricks.
Parents aren’t helping. Girls miss practice.. Same old stuff.
I would like to measure arm speed.
Get a hold of Rick Pauly... He endorses a product called "accra speed" (not sure of the spelling) but this product will velcro strap onto your wrist and will measure the speed of the whip with an audible chirp..... Sorry I posted this before reading every ones responses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying