Are tryouts really a tryout?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I've always seen tryouts where every kid had to tryout as a way to possible cut a couple of the weak players if better ones came out. We tried out for a team this weekend and they actually had 2 teams trying out at the same time. They made it pretty clear that the existing players were on the team and that 1 team needed 3 and the other needed 5.

Jun 7, 2013
For the most part, "fair" doesn't have much to do with it. For our local tryouts the coaches know most of the girls and most of the choices are made before the tryouts even occur. There might be some new girls that get a look if they tryout well. And their might be returning players on the cusp who either make or miss the team depending on how it goes.

And, of course, there's the coach who might not take a pitcher that's better than his DD or his DD's best friend may get the spot over a girl who, objectively, is a better player. Welcome to politics! Welcome to fastpitch softball!

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
My dd is getting a serious dose of a reality check with these tryouts. Its good for her and me, the good and the bad. Just have to be positive on the outlook. Hopefully this just makes her work harder mentally and physically

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Teams that make everyone tryout really are gambling, IMO. I know if we had to try out for the fall, we would have tried out for various teams and very well might have picked another team.

Good point. I've always felt this left the door open for the team to make a move if they wanted.

It's all about commitment. If the team commits to you, then you should return the favor. If they don't commit, then you are a free agent.
Teams and parents should understand if they won't commit then the player and team are free to survey the landscape.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Different teams/coaches have different "goals" at tryouts, and as the level of TB increases so does the cutthroat competitiveness. A lot of B and C level teams just want to keep the girls together and have fun while improving their skills, while most A-level teams are trying to put together the best team possible.

Jun 11, 2013
The tryout we went to this weekend was the reason you have them. I figured DD would be close to or the best player at the tryout. This kid who had just moved here came to tryouts and was amazing. If she's not the best player I've ever watched, she is certainly in the running. She could pick it at SS, had a great arm, hustled at every station and hit one about 250 in the air to left center when she hit. You could see the coaches at the end saying they would get back to us in a few days but I'm sure they called her dad before they left the park.

One thing that amazed me as we haven't ever been to an open tryout was how many kids didn't even hustle in the field. Some weren't even any good and still looked like they thought they were too good to tryout.

Jun 12, 2015
At one tryout we went to they were timing the girls running bases. One yelled to her dad in stands, "If I beat my last time will you give me $20?" Big turn off for me. I want girls on our team who beat their time because they're driven to improve. Not to get money from daddy. I've seen the lack of hustle too, though not so much this round as last.

Feb 7, 2013
DD recently attended 14U tryouts for a medium size org with 3 teams in division. 45 players showed up and half of them were wearing this orgs jerseys from last season. I personally don't like this sense of entitlement that former season players have but I also understand the positives from keeping players in the same org for several seasons so they can learn the system, team chemistry, and making long-term friends, etc.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD was invited to a tryout for a gold level team a couple of weeks ago. They made it clear that they had 7 returning players and were looking to fill a few key spots. Team has an excellent reputation and I appreciated their honesty. Returning players were at the tryouts (not in uniform or in team tee shirts) shagging balls, setting up stations and cheering on the girls trying out. Very classy.

Sep 3, 2013
This time of year we have so much DRAMA around here! Girls trying out for 3 or 4 different teams because there are no guarantees. IMO each coach is different - some want to carry the same team with them year after year and others look to improve the quality of the team WITHOUT adding parent drama.

Personally I have legit OPEN tryouts. I even have it video taped so I can go back and watch what I need to or see things I didn't see. I know the quality of my returning players but to only see new players or players moving up an age is very difficult to do in just a couple of 2 hour tryouts. This year I was VERY lucky, offered 12 spots and all 12 were accepted with no drama... I cut players within the organization and gave spots to girls from another organization that i've been watching through the years based on not just the needs of the team, but also THE PARENTS!

Remember folks when you take the kid the family comes with it and I personally will take the kid with less talent over the kid with the psycho parents any day of the week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes