Are there DI players 5'3" and under who are home run hitters?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Kasey Cooper is 5'4" and hit 67 during her career at Auburn and Carosone was also 5"4" and hit 40 plus for her career. Pretty good combo in the line up together.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think it’s generally only pitchers who are super tall.

There does get to a certain point with pitchers where you’re just not as effective if you’re shorter.

Georgia has a pitcher that is 5'-0" tall. She's not their #1, but she's on the team and got some inning this year.

Sierra Romero was listed at 5'5", but that seemed like a stretch. Maybe in cleats on a cement floor

Bottom of cleats to top of batting helmet is the standard, isn't it? ;)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
College listed heights are often exaggerated. So there are plenty. I just looked up some of my old players and most are getting 2" of extra height listed. Maybe they measure them wearing cleats :)

Also what do you consider consistent?

6-10 Home Runs leads a lot of D1 teams - and I have seen as few as 3 or 4 even this year. Don't get fooled by the biggest D1 programs on TV - they can be unrealistic compared to the entire field.

It doesn't take much to find them.
On the super regional, Sara Jubas at JMU is 5'3" and had 14 this past season as a sophomore. 14 is a lot of home runs in a college season so that comes to mind immediately.

Couple of older names came to me from a few years ago:
Jen Yee from Georgia Tech. She was listed at 5'4" but only in new cleats and with a bad tape measure. Had 29 HR in 2010 as a senior.
Kelley Montalvo is 4'11" at best when she was at Alabama and was a power hitter. 30 or so HR in her career.
FIU is somewhat local to me and Brie Rojas at FIU is 5'0" MAYBE and was good for 8-10 most seasons. Ashley McClain was on those teams as well and she was good for the same and she was maybe 5'3".

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for the names and post marriard. This is a very interesting thread for me, my DD is 5'0" and weighs 130/135lbs. She's going to a D2 program this coming August. She hit 4 HR's in HS this year, and 4 last year, she hit 10 out in Fall ball the season before last, she was just on a tear then! She's NOT a HR power hitter, I teach line drives! Sometimes a great swing results in a OTF!

The reason this thread is so interesting to me, it's pretty special to see someone her size hit a softball into the woods! To see the fans, her teammates, and the look on the other coaches faces is priceless to me, like no way did that just happen! Pretty funny!

Her first travel practice is tonight, can't wait, ready to be out of HS softball mode! My DD has taught me to never underestimate a small girl who steps into the box, especially in the 3 or 4 hole! ;)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Kasey Cooper is 5'4" and hit 67 during her career at Auburn and Carosone was also 5"4" and hit 40 plus for her career. Pretty good combo in the line up together.
That team and line-up was one of me, my wife, and my DD's favorite because of those two players! My DD played around and adopted Cooper's high leg kick with some really great results!

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
That team and line-up was one of me, my wife, and my DD's favorite because of those two players! My DD played around and adopted Cooper's high leg kick with some really great results!

Same here. We loved that group. I just hate Corey screwed it all up. Couldn't stand him when DD was in 8U with the org he was coaching in or later on at Auburn.

DD really looks up to players that have succeeded at that size. Being 5'3" 125lbs and probably finished growing having players like Cooper, Carosone, and McCleney being 5'4" and that successful give the small ones hope. I have told the weight room is her friend because she can put on muscle quickly (Dad didn't get that trait) so she is as strong as girls much bigger than her.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for the names and post marriard. This is a very interesting thread for me, my DD is 5'0" and weighs 130/135lbs. She's going to a D2 program this coming August. She hit 4 HR's in HS this year, and 4 last year, she hit 10 out in Fall ball the season before last, she was just on a tear then! She's NOT a HR power hitter, I teach line drives! Sometimes a great swing results in a OTF!

The reason this thread is so interesting to me, it's pretty special to see someone her size hit a softball in the woods! To see the fans, her teammates, and the look on the other coaches faces is priceless to me, like no way did that just happen! Pretty funny!

Her first travel practice is tonight, can't wait, ready to be out of HS softball mode! My DD has taught me to never underestimate a small girl who steps in the box, especially in the 3 or 4 hole! ;)

Our DD's have a lot in common and I agree it is fun to see them crank one that no one expects. It has happened to her since 8U and even now playing HS and TB teams that don't know her will play the OF up a little or set up in a slapper D. It's nice to see them have to chase one because they underestimate them.

Mine hit her first OTF the last tourney of our 2nd fall in 14U. She hit 3 her freshman year before having a high ankle sprain ruin her HS season and hurt her all summer during TB. During our HS practices before the season this year she was killing it and I had other parents and girls telling me she was putting several out every time she hit. The week before the season started she broke her ankle so what should have been a huge year was crushed. She did make it back for the post season and homered in her first AB and then hit her first grand slam the next game. She is really hoping this is the summer she breaks out.

And you are 100% correct. Teach them to hit the ball hard and hit line drives and HR's happen. As she get stronger more will happen and if she happens to miss a ball a little and gets just under it good things can still happen.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Our DD's have a lot in common and I agree it is fun to see them crank one that no one expects. It has happened to her since 8U and even now playing HS and TB teams that don't know her will play the OF up a little or set up in a slapper D. It's nice to see them have to chase one because they underestimate them.

Mine hit her first OTF the last tourney of our 2nd fall in 14U. She hit 3 her freshman year before having a high ankle sprain ruin her HS season and hurt her all summer during TB. During our HS practices before the season this year she was killing it and I had other parents and girls telling me she was putting several out every time she hit. The week before the season started she broke her ankle so what should have been a huge year was crushed. She did make it back for the post season and homered in her first AB and then hit her first grand slam the next game. She is really hoping this is the summer she breaks out.

And you are 100% correct. Teach them to hit the ball hard and hit line drives and HR's happen. As she get stronger more will happen and if she happens to miss a ball a little and gets just under it good things can still happen.

Yep, they sound a lot alike! Anna was taking hitting lessons from a young coach who played on the Canadian National team, one night during a lesson, with this coach throwing front toss, she hit 17 out that night at our HS field, her head was so big I couldn't get it into the car! Sometimes the fact that she knows she can hit it out is also a negative and I have to throttle her back some!

Travel ball is where it gets funny sometimes, at showcases these coaches don't know her.........when she bats cleanup and we happen to go 3 up and 3 down in the 1st, when she leads off the 2nd inning the opposing coaches always look at her, then look at their clipboard and ALWAYS mouth something to their AC. They bring the 3B in, yell watch her hands, and bring the outfield in, a lot! There's been a lot of 3B's get very pissed off at their coach when they just about get their head removed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd