Appearance opinions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
My 99 told us recently that she tries not to throw her other pitches (change up and curve) when warming up. She only throws the fb so that the other team doesnt see what she can do. This is no instruction from us as parents or her pitching coach, just something she has recenlty started doing. So I guess she plays "possum". Not that she has much to throw at this point, but her mentality of the game often surprises me at her age.
i have read that you should show your change up during warmups to get them thinking? i know our coach has a panic attack if he's see's a change up.. he stops the 9 and 10 yr olds getting into the batters box and tells them LOOK OUT FOR THE CHANGE UP !!! which works out really good after the 9 yr old strikes out. they come over to me to ask, "what's a change up"? any thoughts about showing it in pre-game warm ups ?

Jul 28, 2008
he stops the 9 and 10 yr olds getting into the batters box and tells them LOOK OUT FOR THE CHANGE UP !!! which works out really good after the 9 yr old strikes out. they come over to me to ask, "what's a change up"? any thoughts about showing it in pre-game warm ups ?

I had an ace over a year ago who had a wicked changeup for a 10U pitcher. The opposing coach was yelling the same thing from 3rd. We were in the 3rd base dugout and I said to him, "I can tell you when she's going to pitch it, if you think that would really help them?"

He laughed and said, "You're right. Probably wouldn't change a thing!"

Jul 1, 2010
on a bucket
I too have my 99 warm-up her change-up along with her fb before every inning. I want opposing coaches and batters to see that she has a change-up. During one tourney observed opposing coaches huddling and turning their hand over back and forth trying to replicate the motion.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
No. Unless they possess overpowering speed to begin with, they will arc the pitch to reach the catcher. They will carry that bad habit into the first inning and many times fight to keep the ball down into the strike zone.

Sneaky Softball Pitching

Feb 9, 2009
SLUGGERS!!!!!!

you're high! MY LOVELY, incredibly talented, wiser than the average 10 year old has 5 pitches that she consisitenly throws!!!

1. down the middle
2. too high
3. too low
4 too inside
5.too outside

so there....

hehe

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'm coaching 10U second time around. We don't worry about it (the pitcher on the mound because) "it is what it is". If the 10U on the hill is a phenom it really doesn't matter if we see she has a variety of pitches or not. I am teaching my kids to have fun, relax, work the mechanics...stay fearless and compete every pitch. Kids at that age come in so many shapes and sizes that we intentionally disregard the opponent during warm-ups and just focus on our mojo. When my kids are warming up we warm all of the pitches before the game. If we get 5 pitches before an inning we'll probably shoot 5 fastballs first time around just to build confidence. next time around for warms we'll probably shoot a change or two or drop just so she is thinking about the mechanics. I really don't care what the other team thinks or sees.

IMO never tell a player to look for the change. That is just one more peice of information to overload a player trying to focus on mechanics. They will adjust on thier own. Same for screaming out to "protect" with two stikes...they already know. Work on it practice.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2010
Wow, this thread has gotten off the subject a few times.

The past couple of years we have began to learn 10u is just that, 10u girls "trying" to pitch the ball. Some are really good while others are still developing. Its a toss up from game to game, tournament to tournament. As our pitching coach has told us numerous times, 10u is where your pitchers learn to pitch, batters learn to bat, and fielders learn to field. A pitcher at this age is not to strike out every batter she faces. A strikeout is great, but this is the "learning" stage of the game. When she gets to 12u, 14u or even 16u, that 10u pitcher may or may not be on the mound.

Of course as a parent, we are going to think our daughter is a great pitcher. However, others may view it differently. I do judge based on the number of people who stop and look during different games as to who the spectators want to catch on the mound at 10u. That IMO shows who some may feel is a great pitcher at 10u for that tournament or at that moment.

I don't think appearances at 10u really play a difference. We watch alot of the older girls play. From that, we see a wide variety of shapes and sizes on the mound. Some I think look like they could pitch a really great game, but fall short of my expectations. Then others blow me away from my first impression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy