Appeal Runner Leaving Early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
why?

if the ump saw the Runner leave early, wouldn’t he/she call the runner out? and if they didnt see it, what does the appeal accomplish?
Let's the home plate umpire have a chance at overruling the field ump and make the proper call.

May 29, 2015
Why, especially since you know it's not a proper mechanic?

That’s a good question. It isn’t an improper mechanic either. :)

Seriously, I have had UICs, evaluators, and clinicians come down on both sides. Some really like the idea. None have said “don’t do it” though. The worst I have gotten is “that’s not in our book.” Just like rules, every organization has different mechanics they want to see their umpires using.

Like I said, I am not going to penalize or refuse the appeal if a coach says no. The ball is dead, so nothing can happen (e.g., throwing the ball away accidentally and runners advance). I feel it works much smoother with the crowd understanding what happened. The move to a verbal appeal process may be what is driving people thinking it is an automatic call since the crowd doesn’t see anything happen and “all of the sudden” the runner is out.

May 29, 2015
Let's the home plate umpire have a chance at overruling the field ump and make the proper call.

That’s not what an appeal is. Appeals are available on very specific plays as defined in the rule book. Essentially, an appeal play is one where the umpire is not to make a call or ruling unless specifically asked to do so. Why? I don’t know ... somebody wrote the rules that way.

You are referring to “asking for help” and there are times that is appropriate and times it is not. When it happens, umpires don’t “overrule” one another, they provide additional information and allow the calling umpire to make the final determination.

Jun 22, 2008
No umpire may ever change another officials call, and no official should give unsolicited input or say anything about another officials call unless the calling official asks for additional information.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Feb 3, 2011
runner missed home plate by 6 inches. I'm expecting an appeal from someone on defense. No appeal. She only touched first base and the run counted because there was no appeal at any of the three bases she missed.
I understand that the runner is not called out for the missed bag unless there is an appeal. Can a run be counted if the runner missed the plate in this scenario?

Jun 22, 2008
Once a runner has passed a base they are by rule assumed to have touched it until properly appealed. So yes, unless there is an appeal the run scores

Jan 27, 2019
I understand that the runner is not called out for the missed bag unless there is an appeal. Can a run be counted if the runner missed the plate in this scenario?
Sorry, was in Columbus, OH this weekend, just got back on the computer
Comp already answered the question

May 29, 2015
Agree. All that does is cause confusion down the road especially if the do not execute it properly, dead ball or not

It’s an opinion. I’m not going to argue or defend it. I’m just stating what I do as a bit of “proactive officiating.”

When a coach calls time and comes over and says “I think she/he missed second base” I will (if it is my call) give him my ruling.

“No, she got the corner as she came around.” And then we play on.

OR

“Yes, she did miss it. Would you mind having your pitcher throw over there before I call her out?” Now, either the pitcher throws over and I call the runner out, or the coach says “no” and I still call the runner out.

It isn’t a production. It has no consequences. As I said, it does help the parents in the stands know what happened and avoids all the squawking and questioning.

May 29, 2015
Once a runner has passed a base they are by rule assumed to have touched it until properly appealed. So yes, unless there is an appeal the run scores

Comp, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe NFHS changed the proper umpire mechanic on this. In the past (and I be.ieve this is still current for most other organizations) we were to give a safe signal even if we saw the miss. The updated mechanic is that we no longer make any call until something proper happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves