Appeal Runner Leaving Early

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2018
What is the proper way to appeal a runner leaving early - either on a straight steal or a tag-up? Do you have to throw to first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
On a steal unless there was a caught batted fly ball there is no appeal for leaving before the release of the pitch. That is purely the umpires judgement and call. On a caught fly ball, you can make a live ball appeal by throwing back to the base the runner left early from, or you can call time and make a verbal dead ball appeal. That is assuming all playing action has ceased.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2019
What is the proper way to appeal a runner leaving early - either on a straight steal or a tag-up? Do you have to throw to first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man in blue would know. I believe you just throw to the base you think the runner left early from and check with the ump for a ruling.

Aug 20, 2017
Straight steal umpire calls dead ball immediately and runner is out, no pitch. Leaving early on fly ball, tell umpire you want to appeal runner leaving early and have pitch throw ball to the base that was occupied

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Leaving early on fly ball, tell umpire you want to appeal runner leaving early and have pitch throw ball to the base that was occupied

why?

if the ump saw the Runner leave early, wouldn’t he/she call the runner out? and if they didnt see it, what does the appeal accomplish?

Aug 20, 2017
Not sure why it’s an appeal other than Coach has to catch it. Just like missing a base on a Home run.

May 29, 2015
Man in blue would know. I believe you just throw to the base you think the runner left early from and check with the ump for a ruling.

*blush*

As always ... this answer may vary by your rule set ...

Leaving early on a steal attempt (or just getting a lead off) is not an appealable play.
USA, USSSA, and NFHS: When the umpire sees a runner leave early, it is an immediate dead ball (NO PITCH) and the runner is out.
NCAA: A runner leaving early is a delayed dead ball, meaning the pitch is allowed and any play is allowed to occur. Then the defense has the option of taking the penalty (runner is out) or the result of the play. (This kind fo makes sense if you think about it. If the batter smokes a line drive that is caught and the runner is doubled up, why would you reward the offense by declaring the double play invalid?)

Leaving early, or failing to tag up, on a caught fly ball is an appealable play. There are two kinds of appeals: live ball and dead ball.

A live ball appeal would be throwing the ball to the base before the play is dead.

A dead ball appeal occurs after the play is dead (but before the next pitch). In most organizations (all I listed above) a dead ball appeal can simply be verbal. Coach or player asks for time, approaches umpire and says “I think the runner at ____ base left early.” The umpire will render an immediate ruling.

This is not a proper mechanic, but I will usually ask the coach to have his player throw to the base or go touch it anyway. I’ve gotten thumbs up and thumbs down for this. The ball is dead, so there is no risk of throwing it away. It doesn’t change my ruling (if they say no, that’s fine), but I feel it helps the crowd know what is happening.

May 29, 2015
why?

if the ump saw the Runner leave early, wouldn’t he/she call the runner out? and if they didnt see it, what does the appeal accomplish?

No, umpires do not call automatic outs for missing a bag or failing to properly tag up. It is an appeal play, meaning a coach or player must make an appeal. Why? Because the rulebooks say so. :)

Jun 13, 2018
This is not a proper mechanic, but I will usually ask the coach to have his player throw to the base or go touch it anyway. I’ve gotten thumbs up and thumbs down for this. The ball is dead, so there is no risk of throwing it away. It doesn’t change my ruling (if they say no, that’s fine), but I feel it helps the crowd know what is happening.

Why, especially since you know it's not a proper mechanic?

Jan 27, 2019
I had an aggravating one a few days ago. Hit to shortstop who overthrows first base, ball hits a fence post and bounces into the outfield, one in a million shot.

Runner touches first rounding it, misses second and third by a foot each, all eyes were on the ball except mine. She continues to the plate when the ball is overthrown at third again and the runner missed home plate by 6 inches. I'm expecting an appeal from someone on defense. No appeal. She only touched first base and the run counted because there was no appeal at any of the three bases she missed.

When I coach I have people appointed to watch each base to tell me if the runner leaves early on a tag play or misses a base. Has saved me many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles