Anyone ever built an outbuilding to use for winter practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2016
Western Pa
Natural gas from a gas company has mercaptan added, which give it the distinctive rotten egg smell. A natural gas well, that has not been processed would be odorless and colorless.

The gas line I would be using for this new building is the same line being used to supply my home which is serviced routinely by the gas company well tenders.

Feb 4, 2016
Western Pa
Friend of my has a 30×50×12 pole barn. We installed two 12' w batting cages, one full length to pitch or hit, the other is around 40', for a pitching machine. We use a wood stove during the winter months. It has worked out great so far. 60' in length would be good, would definitely go wider than 24'. 30' is alittle tight with 2 lanes.

Does the 50' length leave enough room inside the building to comfortably pitch from 43'? Is there enough room for the catcher, etc I guess is what I am asking. Seems the builder I am considering uses 56', 60' & 64' lengths as their standards.

Also, how are the batting cages hung? I was thinking of using tensioned cables running the length of the building with metal clips connecting net to cables so I could push the net entirely to one end when not in use but have never used a system like this so not sure how well it actually performs.

Thanks so far for all the inputs.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The gas line I would be using for this new building is the same line being used to supply my home which is serviced routinely by the gas company well tenders.

Then you have a gas line (natural gas) or propane tank, but you do not have a gas well...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Does the 50' length leave enough room inside the building to comfortably pitch from 43'? Is there enough room for the catcher, etc I guess is what I am asking. Seems the builder I am considering uses 56', 60' & 64' lengths as their standards.

Also, how are the batting cages hung? I was thinking of using tensioned cables running the length of the building with metal clips connecting net to cables so I could push the net entirely to one end when not in use but have never used a system like this so not sure how well it actually performs.

I would recommend at least 56' if you plan to use it for pitching, and 60' is even better!

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket

I'd go with 60'. 50 is tight. Catcher us right against the wall, pitcher is pretty close to the door on the other end. I used 4 cables hung the length of the building to hang the Nets from, we had one net that covered both lanes, floor to ceiling, then used rings to hang the divider net on the center cable so we could slide it out of the way when needed. I had to make some metal braces to hang between the poles to hang cables from. We had some netting given to us, so I'm sure there are better options out there.

Feb 4, 2016
Western Pa
Then you have a gas line (natural gas) or propane tank, but you do not have a gas well...

Not that I want to argue but I have a natural gas well sitting 200 feet from my house on my property which ties into a distribution line that gas company owns. The gas line feeding my house tee's off this line between well & distribution line. I get a specified amount annually of 'free' gas from this well. I also have a backup gas line that is connected to a meter which is tapped in to the gas company's main distribution line which I keep valved out and use if my well feed has an issue in the winter (freezing, etc.).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not that I want to argue but I have a natural gas well sitting 200 feet from my house on my property which ties into a distribution line that gas company owns. The gas line feeding my house tee's off this line between well & distribution line. I get a specified amount annually of 'free' gas from this well. I also have a backup gas line that is connected to a meter which is tapped in to the gas company's main distribution line which I keep valved out and use if my well feed has an issue in the winter (freezing, etc.).

Ok, so is mercaptan added to the gas that is coming from the well feeding into your house? If not, you need to be aware of that there would be no odor and you should have your gas lines and appliances checked regularly for leaks.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

my pole barn is 50 deep and I wish I had a few extra feet. To catch I am right up against the wall. I can't tell you how many times I have banged my hand on the wall throwing the ball back to my dd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes