Anybody's DD have REALLY bad days??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
It's not the age. DD is a college sophomore and she's had plenty of outings where I'm sure she would have liked to crawl under a rock. Just gotta focus on the good ones and enjoy everything the game has to give.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would imagine everyone has these bad days from time to time. I will share a quick story from this summer. DD was playing in a showcase, and a college coach that she talked to several times was in attendance. She pitched very well the first two innings, but then things started to unravel. In the next two innings she gave up 4 runs on 7 hits and 1 walk. Truthfully, most of the hits were little bloopers out of the reach of our fielders. Only one was really hit hard; a double to the gap that scored two runs. DD was devastated afterwards thinking that the college coach would never speak with her again. However, she received an email the next day from that coach. The coach stated that she was very impressed with her composure and leadership. She went on to say that she can determine more about a player's character during tough times then during good times. Ultimately it provided a valuable lesson for DD and has helped her tremendously. Seriously.... don't sweat it.

Truth. It's easy to be positive and energetic when things are going well. When you are pressured and struggling is when your character is revealed.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
It's not the age. DD is a college sophomore and she's had plenty of outings where I'm sure she would have liked to crawl under a rock. Just gotta focus on the good ones and enjoy everything the game has to give.

At Mohegan Sun, Lauren Haeger told us about one series vs Georgia where she went 0-12 and she wanted the coach to take her out, but he wouldn't. Keilani Rickets and AJ Andrews had similar stories of failure and recovery (I know I'm getting a little ahead of the OP)- the point being that failure/inability to perform is part of the game.

Lauren said she was lucky because her parents knew nothing about softball other than going to get ice cream after the game.they didn't push her or ask her to talk about a game after it was over.
see where no pressure can get you??.;)

Jan 23, 2017
Georgia
Several answers... All very similar, if not the same. I know that everyone has bad days, just didn't know that those bad days were THAT bad for everyone!

I'm just gonna eliminate any and all pressure (as much as possible, at least) and let her go from there. With full support!

Apr 28, 2014
My DD tends to have her very best days at tryouts.. Then once she makes a team the first full practice is when she proceeds to look like a completely different player :)
After that first practice she tends to show back up. It's odd. I think as many have said there are lots of things going on in young minds. Many of us forget what it's like to be young because most of the time it sucked :)

May 27, 2013
Yes....been there. Of course during our week at Nationals. The whole month prior dd was our 2-out hitter with RISP. We could rely on her to get up and keep the inning going while also driving in runs. Come Nationals, I think she struck out almost every at bat. It was so frustrating. I give her credit though, the season ended there and the following week she took the initiative to work on her hitting on her own. Sometimes a slump leads to great things happening.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I said to myself, don't write this, dont do it. You will sound preachy. But here I am writing it.

My dd had a really bad day November 1, 2011. She was in the ER and then the pediatric ICU. Her blood sugar was over 900, she was diagnosed with type one diabetes. Her life changed forever. About 6 months later when we couldn't figure out why her blood sugar levels weren't being consistently controlled, we found out she has celiac disease, changing her life once again.

The one thought that kept going through my mind was that to other people our worst days would be welcomed as better then what they have everyday.

So after that, the occasional bad outcomes in sports became that much smaller.

We say things like softball is life, but it isn't. Its a great game that is a joy to us, but it really isn't that important. Hug your dds, tell them you love them and love to watch them play. I'm lucky to be able to do those things, so are you. Not everyone is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG