any regrets switching from hello elbow to internal rotation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks all for your advice. I guess my main concern right now is losing pitching time. She got a decent amount of time in the pitching circle in the fall due to a decent ability to get K's (have to give some credit to batters swinging when they shouldn't be), but with a new pitcher joining (honestly much better than DD) and the transition to new mechanics, I'm worried her pitching time will drop.
If you only knew how unimportant pitching time at 10u is to her development. I had the same thought process as you when my DD was in 10u. More worried about circle time and throwing strikes than I was mechanics. What a mistake.

Don't let that aspect influence your decision making at all.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Thanks all for your advice. I guess my main concern right now is losing pitching time. She got a decent amount of time in the pitching circle in the fall due to a decent ability to get K's (have to give some credit to batters swinging when they shouldn't be), but with a new pitcher joining (honestly much better than DD) and the transition to new mechanics, I'm worried her pitching time will drop. I was hoping she could complete a transition by the spring, but it sounds based on the responses here that it would be an overly optimistic timeline. Her last pitching session I had her throwing to spots and there were maybe dozen where I didn't have to move my glove. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but to me that was a breakthrough moment for her and I hate to spoil it.

We're in the middle of trying out new instructors. Had a few sessions with one who was very nice, but didn't seem very "technical" in her approach. Nothing about hip brush or whip, at least not yet. There are highly regarded instructors I was thinking of trying, though located farther and much more expensive.
I think the best thing is to not to pitch in games during the transition. During games there is a lot going on for a 10U pitcher to remember and adding a mechanical changes to the equation is a lot. Chances are that during games right now she is reverting back to her old mechanics which is hurting her muscle memory. How many more games to you have left in the season? You are at a perfect time to work on mechanics during the winter and be ready to throw in games in the spring.

Jul 31, 2015
She may lose pitching time now at 10u, but she'll gain it by 12u and 14u by making the transition.

If you stay as she is, she'll get circle time at 10u, start losing it by 12u, and be batting practice by 14u.

Yes, the technique makes that much difference.

💯

This quote should be a sticky.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
DNeeld nailed it. The switch will ultimately give her more circle time at a higher level. Dive in head first and never look back.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Cheridan Hawkins is said to have spent 9 months without pitching in a game to dial in her mechanics, control and movement.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
@boo201 I liked the title of your thread as it caught my attention. But, and this is very important, there should never be any regrets "switching to internal rotation". It is the ONLY proper way to pitch. HE is not how to pitch. The issue is pitching coaches teach HE because the don't know how to teach how to pitch.

Again, great post and I am glad you posted it! And with what I am going to say next might help......the title could have been, and this is, and I promise, just to help EVERYONE that reads this stuff, and make it crystal clear. The title could have been.....any regrets pitching correctly or not.

I hope that helps. Stay the path. Happy you are here!! You will do yourself and your DD true justice by being here!

Always here to help!

S3

Feb 25, 2020
As a test, for the sake of science, I will switch my DD from IR to HE. She is 9. I will post the results in a few months/years after she works all the IR outta her sytem and can consistently do HE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi