Any of you coaches ever thrown in the towel on your team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I know the feeling about the league team. The problem is that it isn't the players, it's the parents. I never intended to coach this team but they needed a coach for a new team or have 17 girls on the other 4. No one would so I did. Parents complain about everything...they had the opportunity to coach and didn't, so I don't want to hear it. At least the girls are having a good time.

Jul 17, 2012
IMO, JAD has it right. Half of the girls know it is not their team, they will be moving up or down. 5 girls? I would set the bar at 1. If you can help 1 girl be a better player and keep them on track then your job is done. A lot of coaches go through what you are going through. Teach the girls about character, don't quit on them. If anything, enforce your rules and either don't play the no shows, or look for replacements. If you can't play because of girls breaking your rules then it is a win win for you. You have sent a strong message to the player and you don't have to play that weekend. Pier pressure may snap them back in line. If not, you can't play with 8. Once kids see you enforce the rules then others will stop breaking them. At least you can teach them consequences and reprecussions and not let them see an adult quit on them..

^^^ Best answer

I assume the 5 are showing up for practices... giving you a solid effort, and want to learn. Teach them. Take it to the next level with these kids. Heck, I wouldn't care if those 5 and only those 5 showed up for practices. They would get more reps in a 1 hour practice than they would a 3 hour practice with 12-14 present. Work with them on some advanced skills. Move your righties to the left side of the plate and work on drag bunting and slaping. Work with them on their primary position and teach them a secondary position they may want to play and build on their skillset. Fighting through this and building up the players you do have that are committed will go a long way in making a good name for you and your organization. Throwing in the towel will do just the opposite.

If you can't get enough kids for tournament, then cancel them, but keep working with the kids that want to be there. They are getting valuable time in where they would otherwise be sitting in front of a TV posting on their facebook and instagram accounts!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves