Any issues here?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Since this popped back up ... I was talking to another umpire who worked that same showcase. I asked him about their uniforms ... he said he had no issue (by rule) during the game. However during another game, they were warming up in centerfield before their game. He made them move out of the centerfield area and out of the hitter’s line of site.

if it is an issue 250 feet away, how is it not an issue 40 or 43 feet away?

May 29, 2015
I was waiting to see if there was still any interest in the topic ... a little.

My experience with them from behind the plate in my game was that the jersey did not present much of an issue. The ball is coming from below the waste (not up at the jersey) and far enough removed that I didn’t have any issues picking the ball up.

Per the other umpire, multiple players running around 200-250 feet away presented smaller “spots” of high vis that were constantly in motion and it was causing a distraction when trying to pick up the ball (he didn’t say if he had issues or if a hitter said something -I should have asked).

I can understand that. With the solid jersey close by with a fairly constant appearance above the ball (obvious separation) the brain can filter that out. With constantly moving specks that can approximate the size and appearance of the ball and are beyond your focal point, it is “visual noise” that the brain may not pick out and filter quickly.

May 6, 2015
I was waiting to see if there was still any interest in the topic ... a little.

My experience with them from behind the plate in my game was that the jersey did not present much of an issue. The ball is coming from below the waste (not up at the jersey) and far enough removed that I didn’t have any issues picking the ball up.

Per the other umpire, multiple players running around 200-250 feet away presented smaller “spots” of high vis that were constantly in motion and it was causing a distraction when trying to pick up the ball (he didn’t say if he had issues or if a hitter said something -I should have asked).

I can understand that. With the solid jersey close by with a fairly constant appearance above the ball (obvious separation) the brain can filter that out. With constantly moving specks that can approximate the size and appearance of the ball and are beyond your focal point, it is “visual noise” that the brain may not pick out and filter quickly.

actually, it was the pitchers pants that were optic yellow or close, not her jersey body (but sleeves were) ;)

Jersey I would have less a problem with, pants is issue as that is release point. no one chooses that color pants (probably harder to get clean than white) except to try and make it harder to pickup ball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Isn't it amazing how many years this game was play when almost all of the uniforms were the same color as the ball?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi