Another young pitcher hurt by a ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
The advent of composite bats has changed the game for both softball and baseball. And as we learn more about head injuries and concussions having long-term repercussions, there is a new emphasis on player safety (not self-esteem) as it relates to the head. In baseball, more and more kids are wearing padded helmets when pitching in an effort to lessen the chance of concussions to the top of the head. When I played slow pitch softball, no pitcher would ever consider wearing a mask or helmet, but now it is common place. As the game changes, additional safety equipment needs to be discussed. I know that is a painful thought for some purists of the game.

Jan 28, 2013
I am pretty sure that an applicable industry standard would be a prerequisite before an insurance company went near this.

In Taiwan, they don't forbid driving during a typhoon warning.
What they do though is void all insurance during a typhoon warning if you choose to drive

They don't have to restrict your freedom but you alone bear the risks and costs of your choices.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The advent of composite bats has changed the game for both softball and baseball. And as we learn more about head injuries and concussions having long-term repercussions, there is a new emphasis on player safety (not self-esteem) as it relates to the head. In baseball, more and more kids are wearing padded helmets when pitching in an effort to lessen the chance of concussions to the top of the head. When I played slow pitch softball, no pitcher would ever consider wearing a mask or helmet, but now it is common place. As the game changes, additional safety equipment needs to be discussed. I know that is a painful thought for some purists of the game.

I agree that issues of self-esteem should not be a contributing factor when weighing the merits of PPE.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In Taiwan, they don't forbid driving during a typhoon warning.
What they do though is void all insurance during a typhoon warning if you choose to drive

They don't have to restrict your freedom but you alone bear the risks and costs of your choices.

Not sure what your point you are trying to make. Driving is motor vehicle in a typhoon in Taiwan is a pretty simple and specific action. You would be hard pressed to provide a similar definition of what constitutes a "fielders mask".

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I agree that it certainly is more complex than simply safety with regard to a mandate. With folks who are adamantly pro-mask and pro-mandate state their case, an argument that is certainly made is the one about removing the stigma of the mask. I'm not talking about self-esteem related to appearance. It is the bias a player may feel from a coach and other players for wearing a mask, much like the coward comment that Stacy Nuveman made. A rule mandating masks is not going to change their minds so don't waste your time trying. What I don't understand is why people spend so much time and energy worrying about what these coaches think. Honestly, why would you let your kid play for someone who is so diametrically opposed to your view on the issue? Travel ball is a buyers market, and you can cetainly find a team and coach to your liking. And certainly there are college coaches who don't care if you wear one or not so long as you can hit the snot out of the ball and field your position.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
The advent of composite bats has changed the game for both softball and baseball. And as we learn more about head injuries and concussions having long-term repercussions, there is a new emphasis on player safety (not self-esteem) as it relates to the head.

Which is also why baseball "dumbed down" the bats a few years ago. The new BBCOR standard for bats basically demands that they perform like wood bats.

Feb 7, 2013
Which is also why baseball "dumbed down" the bats a few years ago. The new BBCOR standard for bats basically demands that they perform like wood bats.

My DS plays Mustang (PONY 8 & 9 YOs), do the new BBCOR standards apply to them? I know many kids he plays with have composite bats like Easton Makos.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Fair enough but let me ask you this. Should it be optional for a catcher to wear safety equipment and leave it up to the parents to decide what's best for their kids or is it best for the game to have some basic safety standards so those who play can limit their risk of being injured playing a "game"?

I don't think that's even close to the same thing, a catcher can not go a game without getting hit in the mask or helmet with a ball, my dd has pitched for 9 years and has never been hit in the mask, or face. (knock on wood) she did take a bad hop off the shin last year, should the HS require her to wear shin guards?

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
No, that is not what I am saying. Protecting her face from injury and the preservation of self esteem are two different yet related motivations for the call for a mandate. I take it you son also wears a mask while playing baseball? If that is not the case, then why not?

I honestly wasn't sure the what you meant by self esteem but then you explained it in your next post so think I understand now, you meant it in the way of having other girls on the team wearing masks would reduce the stigma. which in turn would have a positive effect on my dd's self esteem while wearing one, yes i agree that is one of the main reasons people want to mandate masks for everyone, I am not one that wants mandate it. Should be your right to choose.
My son won't wear one because he says its for wussy's. I'm not going to force him to wear it, just like I wouldn't force my dd to wear it. My dd still wears hers at TB even tho she's the only one. I don't remind her or say anything about it, she just feels comfortable with it on, unless she's playing outfield then she takes it off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1