Another year. Evie is 11.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Plenty of good swings and bad swings which is typical for the majority of really good fastpitch hitters! The thing that stands out to me are some sequencing issues. These issues look to be due not getting much pull back with the hands/scap as she begins her forward advance. Looks to be causing the upper to to fire prior to foot down. Teaching the hands/scap to pull back can be tricky. Feet Together Stride Hit Justin Stone Drill combined with starting the hands and bat centered with chest/belly button has been the best that I’ve used. I never had good results with telling players to pull back with rear elbow. Verbal que of “load hands” seems to work better. Belly button moves forward and hands move back. Would probably do it dry some before putting a ball on a tee. Will save you some wear and tear lol. After proficient on tees move on to some front toss using same drill. In live ABs don’t tell her to load hands or anything like that. Let her do what’s comfortable with a do damage mindset. Pic below is at foot down on a well timed pitch.
View attachment 25364

I never understood the scap/pull back. Why would you pull back? Seems like the hands go back due to the body going forward more so than anything. As well as more on some swings than others. Usually an timing/adjustment thing from what it appears. Just my observations.

Aug 20, 2017
I never understood the scap/pull back. Why would you pull back? Seems like the hands go back due to the body going forward more so than anything. As well as more on some swings than others. Usually an timing/adjustment thing from what it appears. Just my observations.
I agree with that. I’ve taught scap load before with little success. That’s all I could come up with for the sequencing issue. The hands are obviously moving too early in the sequence. Could be due to lack of forward move? Could be timing (late to foot down so the hands have to go early to get the barrel out). I have had success doing the drill stated in my post to help with sequencing better. Do you agree that she is not sequencing properly? And is that strictly due to timing (late)? How can she get to a better FYB position?

Jun 8, 2016
I agree with that. I’ve taught scap load before with little success. That’s all I could come up with for the sequencing issue. The hands are obviously moving too early in the sequence. Could be due to lack of forward move? Could be timing (late to foot down so the hands have to go early to get the barrel out). I have had success doing the drill stated in my post to help with sequencing better. Do you agree that she is not sequencing properly? And is that strictly due to timing (late)? How can she get to a better FYB position?
On many of the swings it looks like she is in-between "move out" styles. Moving out, then stopping and then moving out some more will screw with anybodies sequencing..

Aug 20, 2017
No doubt! It was interesting to watch all those different moves lol. If I had video skills I could probably put a compilation together of my dd doing same at that age. Maybe she needs to work and timing the front foot up or down or negative move. Know where her spot is, know how to get there in a good launch position, know when she needs to get there, be able to get there consistently, be able to adjust based on outer premotion and velocity. Guess that’s hitting 101 😆

Don’t forget the KISS method

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

I feel like the hands are walked away from due to pitch location. The appearance will have the hands closer to the shoulder w a more bent front arm for a shorter stride and farther for a longer stride. I think the hands kinda stay in the same spot and react to the pelvis gaining ground or space as well as how far the body(pelvis) has advanced. I just try to remind a hitter to keep the hands up or above the ball at all times to keep a direct path and maintain the tension/stability created.

Edit: have used the PVC pipe in the ground drill, the deltoid drill as well but have sinced moved on to a more dynamic pivot point for the hands so to speak. Mainly bc when the hips drop the hands really shouldn’t do the same mostly. Prolly good drills for beginners.

And yes the hand pivot should be reactive to the front foot imo.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
I never understood the scap/pull back. Why would you pull back? Seems like the hands go back due to the body going forward more so than anything.

If the body goes forward and the hands stay back, wouldn't they have had to be held back in some manner? Can they stay in space without help?

Dec 12, 2020
On many of the swings it looks like she is in-between "move out" styles. Moving out, then stopping and then moving out some more will screw with anybodies sequencing..
In the past, her forward move was nonexistent. She is out of sequence, but I believe, as Cornbread said, a lot is due to lack of a forward move. What I am liking to see is what I think is her effort to figure out how to...which I think is this in between mash up of getting forward. She seems to actively be trying to time some fyb. Is that a sensible thought?

Jun 8, 2016
In the past, her forward move was nonexistent. She is out of sequence, but I believe, as Cornbread said, a lot is due to lack of a forward move. What I am liking to see is what I think is her effort to figure out how to...which I think is this in between mash up of getting forward. She seems to actively be trying to time some fyb. Is that a sensible thought?
Could be. Is she leg kicking sometimes and not other times because if so she may be getting herself started at the same time in both cases but with no leg kick she realizes she is too early so she stops and then restarts..either way she will figure out the timing eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13