Another year. Evie is 11.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Borrowingminds i should have elaborated. the hands mostly stay stationary while the body advances. But physically pulling back would seem to always lengthen the swing to an exact point. I think the hands are the best adjusters we have and shouldn’t be locked back all the time just as they shouldn’t be brought forward early either. Hopefully that makes sense.

Dec 12, 2020
@Borrowingminds i should have elaborated. the hands mostly stay stationary while the body advances. But physically pulling back would seem to always lengthen the swing to an exact point. I think the hands are the best adjusters we have and shouldn’t be locked back all the time just as they shouldn’t be brought forward early either. Hopefully that makes sense.

I understand this thought process. On the other hand, the way I understand it at the moment is the 'pull back' helps maintain a quicker swing by allowing the back to work with the hands...the optimal being perfectly on time.

If no pullback, how is the correct tension created? And then how can the hands not go forward early?

Oct 2, 2017
I understand this thought process. On the other hand, the way I understand it at the moment is the 'pull back' helps maintain a quicker swing by allowing the back to work with the hands...the optimal being perfectly on time.

If no pullback, how is the correct tension created? And then how can the hands not go forward early?
I don't want to put words in WW mouth. I let him correct me. But I believe the way he looks at it tension is created naturally by the hands and upper half reacting to the middle moving forward. Reaction being up and back. The timing of when this happens is critical to create the tension desired.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

The forward move of the pelvis loads the posterior and the hands. If you draw a circle around the hands it’s pretty easy to see. Even w a hand set close to the chest or rear shoulder.

1650169037877.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't want to put words in WW mouth. I let him correct me. But I believe the way he looks at it tension is created naturally by the hands and upper half reacting to the middle moving forward. Reaction being up and back. The timing of when this happens is critical to create the tension desired.

Yeah. Just want the hands to remain while the body gets forward.

Dec 12, 2020
Yeah. Just want the hands to remain while the body gets forward.
Isn't this simple KISS thought actually a very complicated task to most, outside of crazy athletes?
Particularly when facing a live pitch? I get what you're saying, and agree, but how can you train that feeling?

In that Miggy clip, do you think he does not have a conscious action of some type of pullback? ('Pull' might be a strong word, but I think we understand the look the same..). At this point it is probably habit, and he knows exactly how to habitually feel it in correct sequence, but for youngsters? Most have to work it in some manner you think?

Appreciate the discussion, Happy Easter all!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Isn't this simple KISS thought actually a very complicated task to most, outside of crazy athletes?
Particularly when facing a live pitch? I get what you're saying, and agree, but how can you train that feeling?

In that Miggy clip, do you think he does not have a conscious action of some type of pullback? ('Pull' might be a strong word, but I think we understand the look the same..). At this point it is probably habit, and he knows exactly how to habitually feel it in correct sequence, but for youngsters? Most have to work it in some manner you think?

Appreciate the discussion, Happy Easter all!

Yes ‘Pull’ isn’t what’s happening. Pulling results is excessive counter rotation of the shoulders or arm bar. If you need to ‘pull back’, that’s prolly bc you didn’t get forward. Just try and get the hips forward and down on time w the hands while the hands remain.

Miggys hands could appear to pull back. But they just anchor the upper body.

Edit: as long as it doesn’t get excessive or dominant, pulling back won’t kill a swing I suppose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse