Another year. Evie is 11.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Isn't this simple KISS thought actually a very complicated task to most, outside of crazy athletes?
Particularly when facing a live pitch? I get what you're saying, and agree, but how can you train that feeling?

In that Miggy clip, do you think he does not have a conscious action of some type of pullback? ('Pull' might be a strong word, but I think we understand the look the same..). At this point it is probably habit, and he knows exactly how to habitually feel it in correct sequence, but for youngsters? Most have to work it in some manner you think?

Appreciate the discussion, Happy Easter all!
What is "KISS"?

Dec 12, 2020
We keep getting rained out Looks like we get to squeeze the tourney completely in tomorrow though.

In the meantime, we put in a little work the last couple days. We worked on tightening her hand pivot some, trying to maintain a "corner." Easier said than done, it has been difficult to trust herself to be explosive.

Anyway, we focused mainly on the hands, kind of letting her body follow suit for this...it seemed to force her into some leverage without the thought to.

I was encouraged with her work, but please chime in with any thoughts as I always see the roses.

Dec 12, 2020
Well, we haven't done much of anything for a couple weeks. So much rain, then Evie left for a 5th grade class trip to the Smoky Mountains. I'm having hitting withdrawals; I doubt she is

Before she left she joined a homerun derby with my ds and his little buddies (he's 8. They usually play a game called blitzball, this time is was a baseball bat and light flights) He hit the most, but she hit a higher percentage and walked away. She achieved her goal to quiet him down, but that window will probably close sooner than later...

Here she is hittin for the fences.

Sep 17, 2009
Awesome. Don't be so sure about her 'window' closing. She's going to get stronger and play on fields and with bats that will keep her on her home run trajectory. He goes wood/bbcor with bigger fields coming up soon. Not to say he won't get there but don't be surprised if she in relative terms stays right there with him.

For now, look at how he 'extra' loads to beat her. Have her watch that and emulate it. It's all that's missing from her very nice swing -- that extra stretch and load to get every ounce of power out of her body. She likes to work you can tell and is both athletic and (athletically) smart. She's good and we'll only get better.

Oct 2, 2017
Well, we haven't done much of anything for a couple weeks. So much rain, then Evie left for a 5th grade class trip to the Smoky Mountains. I'm having hitting withdrawals; I doubt she is

Before she left she joined a homerun derby with my ds and his little buddies (he's 8. They usually play a game called blitzball, this time is was a baseball bat and light flights) He hit the most, but she hit a higher percentage and walked away. She achieved her goal to quiet him down, but that window will probably close sooner than later...

Here she is hittin for the fences.

This is a good example of girls vs boys at least of the younger ages. Girls are usually more stiffer and confined and compact because of instruction vs boys who have more freedom of movement. Just a insight.

Dec 12, 2020
Awesome. Don't be so sure about her 'window' closing. She's going to get stronger and play on fields and with bats that will keep her on her home run trajectory. He goes wood/bbcor with bigger fields coming up soon. Not to say he won't get there but don't be surprised if she in relative terms stays right there with him.

For now, look at how he 'extra' loads to beat her. Have her watch that and emulate it. It's all that's missing from her very nice swing -- that extra stretch and load to get every ounce of power out of her body. She likes to work you can tell and is both athletic and (athletically) smart. She's good and we'll only get better.

Thanks Rich. It's funny because he certainly will not let himself be cheated. I was hoping the derby would help her organize her body for more explosiveness, but I think she just likes to be athletically in control at the moment, which is probably good having those boundaries expand in a controlled manner.

Dec 12, 2020
This is a good example of girls vs boys at least of the younger ages. Girls are usually more stiffer and confined and compact because of instruction vs boys who have more freedom of movement. Just a insight.
They both receive somewhat the same instruction; where she is more methodical in her approach, he's absolutely more reckless with his application, a little more "all out." It's fun to watch.