another video of DD swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2010
I'm looking on opinions on my DD's swing. She has been hitting from the left for just a little over a year. She has a few more fall tournaments, than we will be able to work more on her swing. I'm not sure what to work on/start with, looking for advice.

Thanks in advance.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0KHWnc4H6Kc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
greg,
Look at your DD rear leg. See how the knee turns towards the catcher and her heel turns toward the pitcher? I would like to see a more stable rear leg that the hip could coil into/over top of.You want the hips to turn but, not the rear leg. Your DD wants to feel tension inside her rear leg/thigh.I would like to see a push off the side of her rear foot into toe touch. Your DD is spinning on the rear foot. She is not pushing off of the back leg/foot. Try having your DD coiling into a stable back leg, a leg that doesn't turn with the hips that are coiling. Then have your DD after the coil push with the rear side rear leg as she uncoils. Feel a push with the rear foot and fall forward onto a flex knee. Your DD shifts then swings. You want her to shift and swing. Her swings looks good but, it can get better. I hope this helps.

May 16, 2010
I'm looking on opinions on my DD's swing. She has been hitting from the left for just a little over a year. She has a few more fall tournaments, than we will be able to work more on her swing. I'm not sure what to work on/start with, looking for advice.

Thanks in advance.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0KHWnc4H6Kc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I agree with most of what rdbass stated, and I will add, that she is not fully loading the hands back, and she is extending her arms into contact, instead of throwing the barrel at the ball. Her hands come away from her armpit and go at the ball. The hands need to stay back as long as possible. They should not push at the ball, or be pulled at the ball by the front arm.

Look at how long his hands stay at his armpit, and how the bat goes around his hands, to the ball.

aj7seqc.jpg

Compare these arm positions at contact, to hers;

mlb9.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I do see that her hands are to far away from her body. I am guessing tha tif she can keep her hands in closer and start throwing the barrel at the ball she will gain power? Like you pointed out, she is kinda pushing the ball through the zone, not whipping it.

I thought she was leaning back some, is her body position pretty good at contact?

Thanks

May 16, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I do see that her hands are to far away from her body. I am guessing tha tif she can keep her hands in closer and start throwing the barrel at the ball she will gain power? Like you pointed out, she is kinda pushing the ball through the zone, not whipping it.

I thought she was leaning back some, is her body position pretty good at contact?

Thanks

The hands need to stay back as the main thought. Throw the barrel while the hands are at the shoulder, and let them come away from the shoulder naturally. Don't pull or push the handle and then throw. Throw, and then let the hands go.

Her body position is fine at contact. The back elbow should still be at, or very near the back hip at contact; NOT already extended. IOW, it should still be bent at contact, as I showed with the photo of 9 MLB'ers above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi