Another swing to look at

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2013
I appreciate any pointers you could give. Are we on the right track? 12U, small, light kid. Rarely strikes out in rec league and low/medium level travel ball. We do not play high level travel ball.
[video]https://youtu.be/_ZWgqyoVu88[/video]

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
She has an all forward swing. She doesn't separate the top half of her body with the lower half. It causes a lot of problems, less power, too much head movement and will cause her to strike out more as the pitching gets faster. I would start with the lower half. Look for the happy Gilmore drill, it will help her feel the separation of the top & bottom half of her body. IMO

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Some video of the sequence I like the ladies to master.

Some terms used ... "walk away from the hands", "forward and prepare-to-throw", "separation", etc.

Fundamental of getting in sequence. The rear hip gains ground as the top hand prepares to throw.

Example ... red lines show forward movement of the rear hip, green shows top hand movement:
30a9ap3.gif

I like the ladies to capture this portion of the swing. This can be practiced without even swinging a bat ... it can be practiced while watching TV ... there should be little excuse for not getting this mastered ... practice!

Another example:
35k63vk.gif

Cabrera as an example:
arvhh.gif

Barry Bonds as an example:
5tzy1h.gif

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
2ywu6nr.gif

MOVE The tee BACK!!! Then re-shoot the video

To Nano's point, you have no chance of getting out of an all forward swing pattern with the tee where it is...it should look something like this:
tee position.jpg

CP

Feb 24, 2013
Good stuff, thanks. Basically I see she has no load. And the gifs clearly show some good loads. We were working inside pitches, that is why the tee was so far in front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug