Another should I stay or should I go

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
No matter how justified a move is there will be people who think you're a team hopper. Plus you can't control what the coach says afterwards.

Who really cares about what some parents of players on a C team that get their asses kicked every weekend say? Or their coach for that matter? Your reputation will be built on a lot more than jumping from a sucky team with dishonest coaches.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Yes, we joined and were promised pitching time. 9.3 innings out of 118, I guess you could call that inadequate. No I was not asking for 50% of the pitching time but we discussed it before hand and was told that yes she would get some. She feels that the coach doesn't like her because she subs her out with a 10u player. Little coaching, lot of yelling.

Did you discuss what "some" was or was it just that...she would get some?

What would make you happy, 20%-30%? Now what does that leave 2nd or 3rd?

I'm just playing devil's advocate for a little because honestly, if I wanted my daughter to pitch, joining a team
with 3 other pitchers would have been a zero chance of happening unless I was told she would get a certain amount of time
and we were ok with it.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
The tournament had some better competition with one "A" class team and several other reputable "B" class teams. It felt more like a job interview for the two pitchers who pitched the whole tournament, BTW coaches daughters.

I like winning and hate losing but at 12U you can't hold tryouts and pick athletes every year, you do need to develop these players. Coaches tend to focusing on winning and then don't understand why teams don't do well at the higher levels.

Jun 12, 2015
Who really cares about what some parents of players on a C team that get their asses kicked every weekend say? Or their coach for that matter? Your reputation will be built on a lot more than jumping from a sucky team with dishonest coaches.
I only care so far as it might affect my kid's future. Obviously I also think at times it's worth the risk. The team we left had a dishonest coach too, but he's a great salesman. I'm sure there has been some damage done because people will believe what he says even if I know it's not true. Actually, I know it has because some random person on our local board that I don't even know said she got the "real" story from our ex coach and so she knew I was crazy. This isn't even a person I know IRL. So there ya go. Right or wrong, word gets around and the word isn't always truth.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
Did you discuss what "some" was or was it just that...she would get some?

What would make you happy, 20%-30%? Now what does that leave 2nd or 3rd?

I'm just playing devil's advocate for a little because honestly, if I wanted my daughter to pitch, joining a team
with 3 other pitchers would have been a zero chance of happening unless I was told she would get a certain amount of time
and we were ok with it.

No, we didn't discuss what "some" would be. What would make me happy? 1-2 innings a tournament. That would be about 10-15% of the pitching time. At least let her prove herself. I understand what you're saying about the three pitcher thing but hindsight is 20/20 and some lessons are learned the hard way.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If you are the fourth pitcher on a 12U C team, you should be getting your circle time on a rec team. I don't care whether you think the coach was dishonest or not, she is just not ready to pitch, and no one "owes" her circle time. I just don't understand the thinking of some pitchers parents.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'm not expecting a lot of pitching time on the 14U team. Player development and overall improvement of the game. We'll keep working on the pitching and hopefully work our way into the pitching rotation.

You tried that, hows it working out?

Find a team where your dd will be the #1 or #2 pitcher so she can get the circle time required to develop. If she can't find a team where she will be 1 or 2 then that might tell you something.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Yeah I kinda agree with everyone else. If your daughter is a #4 on a 12U C team you are not going to get more time just because you want it. Unless the coach is a complete idiot or a complete daddy ball situation, he should be pitching his top #1 pitcher 50% of the time and the #2 and #3 the rest. For us, that could change each tournament if there is good competition and the girls are pushing each other. I am a firm believer that 2 pitchers is not enough and 4 pitchers are way too many. I would stick it out and then leave at tryout time. However, if you are the #4 pitcher at 12U and 40ft, you are not going to pitch at all on a 14U team. Good Luck!

Jan 4, 2016
I agree with PA SB Dad and gophert. Being a number 4 on a 12u C team or any level team for that matter you are not going to get much circle time. I coach a 12u B and a 12u rec team. Both have 4 pitchers. The number 4 on the TB team is the number 2 on the rec team and gets roughly 40% of the circle time but gets almost no circle time in TB. Get her the experience on a rec team or a TB team in need of pitchers.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Sheesh... nothing against the 'leaving now' crowd - but you are already planning on leaving this team for another for next season. It also sounds like the next team is within your org which is a consideration...

You have 2 tourneys left. Play them and move on. So you made a bit of a mistake by being on this team - but at this late stage there is no point in burning bridges or causing issues by doing something you can just put off for just a few weeks. You learned something you can apply to the next team that is selected - which as of now it sounds like she wont pitch on either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00