Another should I stay or should I go

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
So...you joined team that you knew had 3 pitchers and now mad she isn't getting what you consider adequate time in
the circle in your opinion? They never promised her pitching time...did they? Now she feels the coach doesn't like
her because she isn't pitching? But you are leaving...so they are supposed to give more time to a player that isn't
going to be around after this season?

And this other team offered her a spot because the HC knows her? Hmmm...not a ringing endorsement there
either in my opinion.

I don't know, you made a commitment playing for a team YOU KNEW had enough pitchers. To me, any circle
was a bonus and you finish out and then do whatever floats your boat.

Yes, we joined and were promised pitching time. 9.3 innings out of 118, I guess you could call that inadequate. No I was not asking for 50% of the pitching time but we discussed it before hand and was told that yes she would get some. She feels that the coach doesn't like her because she subs her out with a 10u player. Little coaching, lot of yelling.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
With so little time left I'd probably stick it out and pick up in the meantime. In a similar situation we did leave but it was at the beginning of spring. It's probably not worth the reputation demerits to jump ship so close to the end.

That's my dilemma, I want to avoid that type of reputation.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast
With two tournaments you should stay...if the 14U teams needs a guest player on the off weekends definitely do that.

Again as others have said you could not expect circle time joining a team with 3 established pitchers on the roster.

Finally if your DD is not head and shoulders above 12U "C" level pitchers I would not expect a lot of time on a 14U team.

I'm not expecting a lot of pitching time on the 14U team. Player development and overall improvement of the game. We'll keep working on the pitching and hopefully work our way into the pitching rotation.

Jun 12, 2015
That's my dilemma, I want to avoid that type of reputation.
I hear ya. No matter how justified a move is there will be people who think you're a team hopper. Plus you can't control what the coach says afterwards. I like to think if it only happens once it doesn't have too much of an impact. Still, not sure it's worth it this late in the season.

Feb 18, 2014
You have to decide if the coach has your DDs best interest in mind. If not, then walk.

It's thrown out all the time that you have to be loyal to your team, that's a two way street. Being loyal doesn't mean being taken advantage of.

We were in almost the exact same situation. She had pitched 11 partial innings, the #1 pitcher was over 50, the #2 coaches daughter over 50 and the #4 pitcher 4 innings. Twice I was called over mid tournament because she was finally put in and the coach had to ask what pitches she knows. That was 6 months in.

When your DD asks after a game, why the #1 pitcher was used in pool play against a team that is lucky to get a girl on base, what do you tell her?

A coach has to do their best with all the players, when they don't, it's obvious. It's also obvious when a coach is fair and the problem is the player or parents.

But in the end, do a self check, and do what's right for your DD.

Jun 11, 2013
If you are playing and have 10 players and don't bat them all you shouldn't be coaching. Maybe in Nationals or a huge qualifier but when you lose every game I don't think the extra hitter would kill you.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
A lot of reasons for coaches decisions are because of parental pressures. Coaches get texts day and night from parents with questions and complaints that often dictate decisions when a roster is so low. Is this right? No but it happens. Parents want trophies so decisions are made in pool play to help position the team for an easier road on Sunday.

WWID in your situation, I would have my DD talk to the coach about pitching time and see his response. I would be present for the talk but let her speak, watch the coach's reaction when your DD asks the questions. Is he listening or is he rolling his eyes or any other tell tale non verbal. What answer does he give to her.

First year 12U C my DD sat the bench 2 straight weekends not even a courtesy run opportunity. My DD went to practice and asked the coach if he planned on playing her at all this upcoming weekend and why he didn't play her the previous 2 weekends at all, both of which we went 0-3. After she talked to the coach she played more, because he noticed she cared. Yes she did this under my advice but I didn't ask the coach those questions. We could have walked and left them with 9 but this softball world is small and if you have 2 weekends left stick it out, thank the coaches after the world series and if they ask if you plan on returning be honest.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
A lot of reasons for coaches decisions are because of parental pressures. Coaches get texts day and night from parents with questions and complaints that often dictate decisions when a roster is so low. Is this right? No but it happens. Parents want trophies so decisions are made in pool play to help position the team for an easier road on Sunday.

WWID in your situation, I would have my DD talk to the coach about pitching time and see his response. I would be present for the talk but let her speak, watch the coach's reaction when your DD asks the questions. Is he listening or is he rolling his eyes or any other tell tale non verbal. What answer does he give to her.

First year 12U C my DD sat the bench 2 straight weekends not even a courtesy run opportunity. My DD went to practice and asked the coach if he planned on playing her at all this upcoming weekend and why he didn't play her the previous 2 weekends at all, both of which we went 0-3. After she talked to the coach she played more, because he noticed she cared. Yes she did this under my advice but I didn't ask the coach those questions. We could have walked and left them with 9 but this softball world is small and if you have 2 weekends left stick it out, thank the coaches after the world series and if they ask if you plan on returning be honest.

Jan 26, 2015
Southeast

The tournament had some better competition with one "A" class team and several other reputable "B" class teams. It felt more like a job interview for the two pitchers who pitched the whole tournament, BTW coaches daughters.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Sounds like a bridge in desperate need of burning to me. Team hopping from a dumpster fire team is actually viewed as a positive in my book. Any coaches that accept 4 pitchers on their teams and then don't pitch them are dumpster fire setters.

There are A LOT of teams out there that have no redeeming qualities and do not deserve to be in operation, if you happen to make a bad choice and find yourself on one why on earth would you stay with it? Pitching your pitchers is kind of the hallmark of a decent team, accepting pitchers on to your team and then not pitching them is one of the things that tells you jackasses are running things. Do jackasses deserve loyalty? How much is losing a pitcher who doesn't get to pitch really affecting the team anyway?

I wouldn't just leave this team I would be getting my money's worth on the way out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles