another pitching mat thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
I have read all of the threads and have been unable to come away with a solid game plan. Looking to "bump" the conversation. Need to make or buy a pitching mat for my basement practice area, currently pitching off an area rug that does sometimes slip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH6yxPYJS0o

Putting down the pitching rubber on top of the rug hasn't worked out well either.

time to buy or make. 3' x 10' is what we want right? What is the best material?

thanks, stick

Jun 1, 2013
Screenshot_2015-02-04-08-56-34.jpg

Screenshot_2015-02-04-08-56-20.jpg

I made these 2. $60-$70 range. The bolt heads you see are below flush on both sides and if I had painted the rubber white it wouldn't be so noticeable.. The one with grommets doesn't slip on dirt or grass, the other one doesn't slip anywhere. Lowe's and Atwood's is where I got the material. These do roll up and are portable.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I made one with boat rubber as a base, Astroturf on top, power line and built in rubber. It is really solid. Problem is it is not moving anywhere. If I was to do it again I would buy one that would roll up and was more portable.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I used an all-weather floor mat from HD and an actual pitching plate with the spikes removed. Just added some velcro to the bottom of the plate, and some no-slip stuff for keeping rugs in place on hardwood under the mat. Works like a charm, easy to move around.

Feb 5, 2010
This is what I have found to be the best deal out there JMHO Every year around this time they will run a deal where you DON'T pay shipping. Made by the same people who make all of the Finch stuff (Promound) The most important thing to watch for is the backing. You want the black rubberized if you ever go on a smooth floor such as a gym if you don't want slipping. I can almost guaranty that when you are done, you will be able to get back your investment.
Pitching Mat for Softball with Non-Skid Back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan