Long Toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
I've read in a couple of these threads that doing long toss can help increase a pitcher's velocity. DD's pitching coach started to work some long toss into her lessons as well, but I've noticed that starting off with long toss after warmup during a lesson kinda wears her out. By the end of the hour, she's tired and sore and unable to throw strikes.

During our throwing sessions away from the team & lessons, I've had DD do long toss after she's done throwing (about 35 minutes). She doesn't get as far back as she would if she started with long toss, but I feel like she's getting more out of a throwing session if she waits until the end to do long toss.

I've watched Monica Abbott's long toss video, and it sounds like she does it once a week. My question is this: does it make much of a difference if DD is doing long toss before or after throwing her regular pitch routine? Should it be something that is completely separate -- just warmup and long toss but nothing else?

DD is a second-year 12U, and she's been working from 43 feet to try and be ready for 14U and middle school. Any input appreciated!

The Abbott video, for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQHnKRQ9s0I

Nov 16, 2015
I am a big proponent of long toss and this is how we used it.

Started offseason in December and threw 3 times a week. Sunday was a our long toss day. We never talked about strikes those days. They were velocity days. So when they were back to the mound it was all about throwing as hard as they could. We always sprinkled in leg drills as well. The girls would really be popping when they got back to the mound. It was fun watching the distances increase as the offseason progressed.

We made a few changes once the tourney season started. First day back was long toss. We used it as a way to loosen back up from throwing all weekend. We didnt push them as far back, we increased the distance at a slower rate and we basically played catch at about 75%. Just wanted to loosen up and get the blood flowing. Usually ended the night working different spins.

A question i often ask girls that i work with is when is the next time you need to throw a strike? we dont worry about strikes when we are more than a month away from our next game

I like watching the Abbott video. Its basically what i have incorporated

Nov 29, 2009
What I did with my DD was work long toss along with speed, drive and explosion drills. Those days were devoted to raising and maintaining the bar for the comfort level with regards to peak performance. About the only thing we would work on from the pitching rubber was FB spots for strikes at her max effort. I would throw in change-ups on those days. Other days were dedicated to working movement pitches.

I liken long toss to a football player moving up from college to the pros. After they've played in the NFL for a while they'll get interviewed and you'll hear them say things like "The game is slowing down." or they are starting to "Understand" the game better. The game hasn't slowed down or become less complicated. They've raised their performance comfort level to match the game speed of the NFL.

Long toss enforces being able to raise the bar to the max potential speed level of each individual athlete. Another thing it does is give the pitcher a measuring stick with regards to how hard they are throwing the ball. If a girl I'm working with throws a pitch that I know is below her potential is I will ask them "Would that pitch have made it from XX feet?" depending on what their max is.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks for the thoughtful responses. It sounds like long toss should be once a week, and not a part of her regular routine. Right now practice sessions are mostly focused on getting her game-ready, so I'm thinking that she should look ahead to the offseason to start a weekly long toss program. One day a week where she works on lower body drills, long toss, and then some FB pitching where velocity is the focus.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is 12 years old and we have long tossed during the off season before. I'm ready to add it to our program again. My question, she is working on a rise ball (not ready), should we use rise ball spin for long toss or just throw?

Nov 29, 2009
DD is 12 years old and we have long tossed during the off season before. I'm ready to add it to our program again. My question, she is working on a rise ball (not ready), should we use rise ball spin for long toss or just throw?

Just throw. Trying do work spins at max effort does not work well.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket

We use nose up bullet. Works much better than normal drop spin, more distance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802