Another Infield Fly Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
16U ASA rules. Bases loaded, 1 out. Batter hits pop up to 1st baseman. Umpire calls Infield Fly, batter out. 1st baseman drops ball. Runner on 1st takes off for 2nd, runners on 2nd and 3rd also take off to protect the trailing runner. 1st baseman throws home, catcher steps on plate but never tags runner. Eveyone agreed on facts so far. Intially umpire called runner safe because there was no tag, then changed his mind and said it was a force play, therefore, runner is out. Can some of the umpires on here give me the correct ruling and where to find it in the book? I thought the intent of the IF rule was to keep an infielder from dropping the ball - intentionally or otherwise and getting the easy double play.

Jun 22, 2008
There is no force once the batter is declared out. The play at home required the runner to be tagged.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
There is no force once the batter is declared out. The play at home required the runner to be tagged.

That was our argument; however, we had more than one umpire say otherwise. The original umpire did say later he had the call right the first time. Was not a game changer. It ended our inning, but we still won the game.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Runner is safe at home. Force was removed when umpire ruled infield fly. To be out, the runner from 3rd is required to be tagged out.

Rule 8-4: Runners are entitled to advance with liability to be put out (L): When an infield fly is declared and caught, runners may tag up and advance. If the ball is not caught, runners may advance at their own risk. (Page 88 in 2011 ASA book)

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2008
A situation like that is the reason for the rule. Without the infield fly rule, the fielder could have dropped it intentionally and forced the runner at home and third. The moment the umpire declares the infield fly rule is in effect, the batter is out....unless it's foul.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
The call should have been safe at home. Once the infield fly is called, it removes the force out. Think of it like turning two the hard way. If it was a gound ball to first and she stepped on the bag, forcing out the batter, there would need to be a tag at whatever base there was a play at next.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
If there is no batter runner, there is no force. I thought that was common knowledge. What rule set has a force at home without a force at 1st? And these were 16U ASA umpires? LOL!!! Oh, Man!!...that's a good one!! (This is a joke, right?)

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
If there is no batter runner, there is no force. I thought that was common knowledge. What rule set has a force at home without a force at 1st? And these were 16U ASA umpires? LOL!!! Oh, Man!!...that's a good one!! (This is a joke, right?)

I wish it were. This was in a College Exposure tournament. Fortunately, these were the only questionable umpires we had all weekend. It didn't affect the outcome of the game. Most of the umpires we had were fantastic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut