Another crazy softball parent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2012
I am the head coach of a rec team 14u/12u. Long story here I know.
I picked these two sister girls in the spring draft that were both phenomenal in the tryout, I was very excited to get them on our team. Unfortunately these kids have a mother that comes along too (more on that later).
These two kids are very much our standout players, they also play for their school team as well.
While these kids are good, they aren't as good as mom thinks, I certainly think they have a ton of talent and have the chance to be awesome players.

We are pretty sure that she hasn't liked us as coaches from the beginning of the season.
We believe the kind of coach the mom wanted was one that yells at the kids whenever they make a mistake. That isn't our style, this is a rec league, we have a lot of kids that have only played for 1 or 2 seasons and several that haven't ever played at all. We have the philosophy that the players will get better from practice and experience, not by being yelled at.

We have not had the best season, we were 4-4 going in to 2 games last weekend.
In the first game we took the undefeated team of the league which hasn't lost a game last season or this season into the last inning with a 1 run lead. Unfortunately one of the standout kids had a rough inning pitching and we gave up some runs (many) and we lost. As coaches we were very excited to be able to hang with this other team as long as we did, we didn't care we lost at all.
I didn't see mom afterwards, but she made the comment to an assistant coach that we should have pulled her daughter from the mound in the last inning. We had visited the kid during the inning and she absolutely didn't want to come out. We figured we had already lost the game at that point and really we didn't want her to lose confidence, because she normally is a good pitcher during the games.

Forward to the next game the next day, the whole team came out flat from the beginning.
I think they were worn out from the night before. Well, we didn't do so well. Mom's two standout players played pretty much their worst game of the season. The pitcher had her worst game and the sister was catcher for a few innings also had her worst game there too. As coaches while we were disappointed that we didn't win or even play well, we aren't going to sit around and blame anyone for the loss. As a team we didn't play well, as a team we lost. We hope we can rally back next game.

After the loss mom was irate yelling at her kids that they were done with the team and didn't have to meet behind the dugout with the team, I missed hearing that otherwise I probably would have said something I might have regretted. Later on one of the assistants was talking to her, (unaware of the previous statement at the time too), she flat out made up lies claiming that some of the other parents were talking badly about her kids not doing well that day. We know both of the people she was making this claim about and when we heard this no way did we believe they would say that, secondly we asked them ourselves and of course it didn't happen.

We pretty much pegged this woman as psycho a while ago. As another example of the crazy behavior from her…at the beginning of one of our at bats, her daughter was up first that inning, for some reason when she came off the field she went to talk to mom at the opening of the fence by the dug out. I had no idea what she was doing, I just called her name and told her to get ready to get up to bat, mom at that began to freak out to the other parents and started saying loudly, "did he just say I couldn't talk to my daughter?", luckily another coach from another team was there and had to remind her, that it was her turn at bat.

I tend to think that if we were winning, then mom would have no problem with the coaches, however because we are now 4-6 and her kids aren't looking like the star players she thinks they are it is somehow the coaches fault.

Funny, about a week ago, mom couldn't come to the game, so ex husband dad (whom is very quiet and very polite) brought them, the kids played a great game, in fact the whole team played a great game. The next time I saw mom, she remarked that the kids said she couldn't come anymore because they do better without her there. I think that there is a lot of truth to that comment unfortunately.

We really like the two kids on the team, they are both friendly and do play well most of the time.
What we don't like is mom. She blames the coaches for her kids poor play. Mind you this is a rec team, we can hardly ever have practices because the fields are taken up by games, also these two kids both play on their school team which practices every day. Unfortunately the school team hasn't fared well this season either, but we are not involved in that team.

We have 3 or 4 games left in the season. We are not planning to have them being back on the team in the Fall, we figure mom won't have them back on our team, and if mom is around I guess the feeling is mutual.

In general us coaches have handled mom as politely as we can throughout the season, but after the last game with her piss poor attitude and the flat out lying to our face, I am not sure we can continue to be nice any longer.

Sorry for such a long story, but any advice would be appreciated.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We really like the two kids on the team, they are both friendly and do play well most of the time.
What we don't like is mom. ... We are not planning to have them being back on the team in the Fall,

Quick question: If the mother was really nice, but the kids were lying little brats, would you keep the lying brats because you like their mother? In "Hoosiers", should the coach have cut the drunk father's child?

The mother is sick...she has mental problems. This isn't a "Crazy Mommy", this is a "Mentally Unstable Mommy". And I know it is really tough to deal with someone like that.

But...come on...these kids are looking forward to these games and love playing for you. You are creating an oasis of stability in their lives. Most of the time, all we coaches is teach kids how to catch a pop up, and we don't contribute that much to their lives. But, you are lucky enough to have an opportunity to be something more than simply a softball skills instructor--it doesn't happen very often. (The best thing I ever did as a coach was being given a mentally handicapped kid to coach. I didn't want him, but I got him anyway, and I became a better person for it.)

This is rec league, not travel ball. So, it is all about the kids, and sometimes that means you deal with something you would rather not. Please, don't punish the children for their mother's mental problems.

As to how to handle her...don't fight with her, because that is what she wants. Ignore her. The phrase, "She is dead to me" would be a good one to remember.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2012
West US
Agree with sluggers. This might be a rare/last chance these girls have to enjoy a season of softball. Email dad and ask him to bring the girls the last couple games.

May 21, 2012
Thanks for the advice.
I will just ignore mom for the rest of the season.

I just can't seem to understand why this sort of thing keeps happening to our team.
We had a similar issue last spring with 1 player and her mother, in that case the mothers craziness did get into the kid and caused some issues on the team.

All we are looking to do is get out and teach the kids the game, have fun, and hopefully win some games.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just can't seem to understand why this sort of thing keeps happening to our team. We had a similar issue last spring with 1 player and her mother

That is an easy one...because there is always one crazy parent on a team.

I got one for you...a parent brought a brewski to a high school softball game played on the school property. Exactly what part of "no drinking on school property" did the guy not understand? You are always going to have one nut--the only question is how you keep that parent from causing a problem for the entire team.

Oct 10, 2011
We had a crazy mom on our old team that made the season miserable. One practice she walked up and started throwing bats (not at anyone), and kicking everyone's helmets around. They gave her a warning, but after one of the games she went off and used about every choice word in the book to describe what she thought about the coaches- to the girls on the team! They basically told her never to come back, but her daughter could stay. Her daughter said, Mom's right...I quit.
It's unbelievable how well the team did once they left.

May 21, 2012
Right, we are trying to plan for next season to try and mitigate the crazy ones at the beginning.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I understand that it is rec, but there has to be a process to hand problem parents. I personally wouldn't let my daughter play, if there was a parent that is so unstable that she is liable to go off at any time. It is too bad for the daughters, but this isn't new to them. They have to go. Give her one more chance and then, "Bye."

May 21, 2012
wow, lucky you you only have the one parent like that. Lots of coaches would kill to have your good luck ;)

Well, actually earlier on there was another set, however we sent out an email to the whole team which worked well for them. They got the message and shut up with their negative comments during games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1