Another Coach Accused Of Improper Conduct.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
a) The reporters fought that so they would be able to do their jobs properly. Unless this guy's job description entails eating, I doubt
he needs to be in there.
b) The women were obviously uncomfortable about it and since it isn't a necessary part of his job (see a) then once he realized that, a
reasonable person, who was actually doing it for the reason he stated, would stop doing it...
Male players were uncomfortable with women reporters in their locker rooms, they were told to "deal with it." Seems like its just another double standard

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Are we talking about coaches or reporters because there aren't a heck of a lot of women coaches in men's sports. If it is
reporters I don't see male reporters having issues getting or keeping jobs because they don't have access to women's
locker rooms.

The bigger question is why are teams allowed to conduct interviews in locker rooms anyway? My guess is if
male reporter's jobs were in jeopardy because of this, the male dominated domains of Athletic Directors, University presidents
or Team Owners would make sure that the practice ceased for women's sports....

Other than maybe tennis, nobody cares enough about women's sports to cover it and I can guarantee you that they are not allowing male reporters in to the women's dressing room at women's tennis events

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
As a coach for women's team, few simple and commonsense steps will prevent you from being falsely accused.

1. No body contact other than hand shake
2. Don't be alone with any of your players, always have a female present when you meet a player in your office.
3. Don't go in their dressing room, a male coach has no reason to be in a women's dressing room or shower.
4. How much ever you want it to be, the players are not your family and they are just your players and treat them as such.
5. Never PM a player, always include an assistant coach in the message.
6. I have seen girls flirt with the coaches to get what they want, so don't let it get to your head when you get vain compliments from your players.

There are lot more simple steps you can follow to keep yourself out of trouble.

Shouldn't all of these rules also apply to a lesbian coach of a female team?

May 23, 2015
It really is sad how much less guys can get away these days. The good men in the world and all we uppity women are screwing everything up for you.

Again another stupid judgement. Why not proactively imprison all male coaches based on your chatroom theory

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Again another stupid judgement. Why not proactively imprison all male coaches based on your chatroom theory

A male coach repeatedly walking into a locker room full of young women changing is not the hill you want to make your stand on. This is not the same as reporters coming in and out of a locker room as there are specific times and rules on when they are allowed in. If a coach is walking in and out on a whim, its not the same thing.

As for Tennis, I highly doubt reporters are walking into the locker rooms of the men either. In fact I can't imagine the elite tennis players of the world using a communal locker room.

Dec 11, 2010
Larry Nassar.

Google fricking Larry Nassar and then come back and lecture us about double standards.

Whether this guy did this or not, GUYS DONT BELONG IN A LOCKER ROOM WITH A 17 YEAR OLD FEMALE STUDENT ATHLETE. Or a 22 year old female student athlete. Not even accidentally. They can’t drink with them. They can’t date them. They can’t send them a special valentine. Off limits. No way. No how.

You know who is smart? The coach that can say “I have only been in the female locker room twice. Once with the athletic director when I was taking a facilities tour as part of the hiring process and once when building maintainence needed to fix the air conditioning in May of 2016.”

You know who is smart? The guy who goes to Walmart and spends $74 on a microwave so he doesn’t have to even take the chance of being accused of being a weirdo.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016
I am frankly shocked that there are a number of folks in this thread who are anything other than scandalized by this story. I don't really care whether there's a microwave in the locker room. Someone put it there. Whomever did that was either incredibly stupid or evil. I'm willing to assume the former.

MOVE THE FRICKIN MICROWAVE!

There is no excuse at all for the coach entering the locker room. None. Have we so soon forgotten the lessons learned from Corey Myers and Auburn University? (Former Auburn Tigers softball player alleges abuse, sexual harassment in 14-page complaint) This coach is in a position of power, and most of the girls look up to him (just look at all of the twitter responses from the players). Is a player who is struggling for playing time going to speak out if she feels uncomfortable? I'd like to think that MY daughter would. At the very least, I'd hope she'd call me and tell me what was going on, because I'd be in my car on the way to campus, demanding to see the AD whose presence in the room, I hope, would keep me from kicking this coach's rear.

A grown man who coaches female collegiate athletes has no business in their locker room. EVER. You can say I'm vilifying him all you want, and I'm okay with that because that's exactly what I'm doing. Whether there's any intent on his part or not, he is 100% to blame for this story. He is a grown-assed man in a girl's locker room. Ask yourself how you'd feel about that if your daughter was on this team. Would you care if he was "just using the microwave" or not?

If I were the AD, I'd fire the guy - no questions asked. He's either a pervert or an idiot. Either way, I don't want him around my campus. But clearly the folks in charge at UMoKC aren't exactly brainiacs themselves because when they were disciplining students for an unrelated alcohol issue, they expelled the three who made these charges against the coach and reinstated the three who did not. In what universe are the optics of that decision good? Oh yeah - and they also decided to ignore FRPA when releasing this information to the press. I don't know who is in charge over there, but they're staring down the barrel of a lawsuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12