Another ASA Division

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
16GOLD will be held in conjunction with 18GOLD.

The rationale is that college coaches are looking primarily at 16u recruting wise. It is thought that by bringing the best players in both 16 and 18u together at the same site, it will draw the coaches which will draw the players.
As usual, ASA is late and trying to catch up. PGF moved 14U and 16U last year to the 1st week (same week as 18G) at the request of college coaches. ASA has never cared about recruiting before and only does now as a means to an end.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
As usual, ASA is late and trying to catch up. PGF moved 14U and 16U last year to the 1st week (same week as 18G) at the request of college coaches. ASA has never cared about recruiting before and only does now as a means to an end.

It actually isn't the NGBs mission to enable recruiting, they are not supposed to be a clearing house for the NCAA. However, they have been pushing most nationals from the 16U up to accommodate coaches and recruitment effort for more than a decade and demanding it for about a decade.

Then again, it really isn't anyone's job to get a player recruited other than the player and parents with the aid of the team's organization and coaches.

Mar 26, 2013
It actually isn't the NGBs mission to enable recruiting, they are not supposed to be a clearing house for the NCAA. However, they have been pushing most nationals from the 16U up to accommodate coaches and recruitment effort for more than a decade and demanding it for about a decade.
That's news to me - I haven't seen any mention of it in the Code and/or Procedural Manual. I also don't recall you mentioning it in past discussions.

Then again, it really isn't anyone's job to get a player recruited other than the player and parents with the aid of the team's organization and coaches. Actually, it's the job of the player, their parents and anyone they employ.
That ideology is fine for purists, but underestimating the importance of recruiting to its participants helped cost ASA their status as having the preemminent championship (i.e. ASA/USA) - a very bad thing for an NGB.

Can you provide any info regarding ASA's plans for 16G? Is it going to mimic 18G regarding berths, qualifiers and championship site?

I also noticed ASA didn't announce the location for 18G Nats in 2015. Any idea where they're thinking of holding it? Evidently the Executive Director can place it anywhere in the US.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
That ideology is fine for purists, but underestimating the importance of recruiting to its participants helped cost ASA their status as having the preemminent championship (i.e. ASA/USA) - a very bad thing for an NGB.

The NGB mission is to promote a sport (not just JO FP) and provide a path to a national champion and represent the sport for international play. The sport was there long before softball became a popular money pit for parents with dreams of catching that all elusive carrot.

And they are supposed to be there for ALL eligible players, not just those who are not in college.

That's news to me - I haven't seen any mention of it in the Code and/or Procedural Manual. I also don't recall you mentioning it in past discussions.

Not everything is codified, particularly SOP of just about any business or organization. First time I saw this was in the 18U in Salem, VA in 2001 where there was direction to accommodate all/any coaches/recruiters with complete schedules and any profiles needed (assuming the team provided that information). I worked for the ASA Rep and it was made quite clear to her that the college folks were to be treated well. And it has been discussed for years at the general council meetings. There is no doubt they were a step behind on the technology and reporting at the tournament sites, but I think they've just about caught up there.

And yet people talk as if ASA has completely turned their backs on the recruiting side, but IMO it is really the point that they are not helping teams get their players recruited. If you haven't noticed, the NCAA and ASA work very closely, so accommodating their folks is a no brainer.

Can you provide any info regarding ASA's plans for 16G? Is it going to mimic 18G regarding berths, qualifiers and championship site?

I also noticed ASA didn't announce the location for 18G Nats in 2015. Any idea where they're thinking of holding it? Evidently the Executive Director can place it anywhere in the US.

Nope, don't know, but they've got a year to worry about it.

Sep 18, 2011
I can't quite figure out the reason behind 16U Gold. The best 16U ASA teams already had a place to play - ASA/USA "A" nationals in Salem. So now there is a Gold division and, presumably, the teams that were going to play in Salem will now play Gold instead. So 16U "A" nationals will be watered down, right? If so, what's the point??

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
that would make sense, but it is not what ASA posted on their FB page. They posted: "2014 18 GOLD will be in OKC. !6 GOLD date and location still TBD."

I'm relaying the information I was provided by the person(s) that proposed the addition of 16GOLD. I think their focus at this point was to get the proposal passed and work out the details if that happened. My understanding is that the berths will be awarded along the same lines as 18Gold berths are awarded.

As to "watering down" the 16A division, it shouldn't be affected any more than 18Gold "waters down" the 18A division. My understanding is that most of the stud players go from 14u directly to 18A or 18Gold, skipping 16u all together. This proposal may help bolster the 16u division and keep some of those age eligible players in that division.

Nov 18, 2013
Great Thread! I've been wondering many of the same things since I heard the news last Friday. I agree with SoCal_Dad about being surprised they made it effective for 2014 at this late date. I'd think the Salem organizers would be livid if they moved 16U Gold to another location.

I agree with 29Dad. The new Gold division will drop the status of "A" nationals and the top teams (and all the colleges) will attend PGF and/or ASA Gold. This would take Salem out of the picture for us and I'd think anyone else away from the east coast.

Mar 26, 2013
The NGB mission is to promote a sport (not just JO FP) and provide a path to a national champion and represent the sport for international play.
The only thing that differentiates ASA from the other sanctions is USA Softball, which explains why ASA has recently been playing that up and tries to use it to coerce participation in its 18G.
The sport was there long before softball became a popular money pit for parents with dreams of catching that all elusive carrot.
Unfortunately, softball is no different than other sports.

And they are supposed to be there for ALL eligible players, not just those who are not in college.
The purists are obviously in the minority on this as ASA chose once again not to change it.

Not everything is codified, particularly SOP of just about any business or organization.
How can it be "demanded" then?
First time I saw this was in the 18U in Salem, VA in 2001 where there was direction to accommodate all/any coaches/recruiters with complete schedules and any profiles needed (assuming the team provided that information). I worked for the ASA Rep and it was made quite clear to her that the college folks were to be treated well. And it has been discussed for years at the general council meetings.
Obviously done at the request of participating teams.
There is no doubt they were a step behind on the technology and reporting at the tournament sites, but I think they've just about caught up there.
ASA should offer TournamentASA free of charge to all Nats and require they use it or something better.

And yet people talk as if ASA has completely turned their backs on the recruiting side, but IMO it is really the point that they are not helping teams get their players recruited. If you haven't noticed, the NCAA and ASA work very closely, so accommodating their folks is a no brainer.
WCWS being held in OKC is the most public thing. Other than that, I only know what you have mentioned in the past about some intercommunication and/or cooperation for rules changes and equipment testing/certification.

ASA failed the "no brainer" test last year by scheduling a Western TQT the first weekend in July - same week as all the big Colorado showcases. Only 6 teams registered - all from outside the territory - and they all got berths without showing up.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
ASA failed the "no brainer" test last year by scheduling a Western TQT the first weekend in July - same week as all the big Colorado showcases. Only 6 teams registered - all from outside the territory - and they all got berths without showing up.

That qualifier was scheduled not by ASA, but by the local ASA association. You can probably figure out by my avatar which association that was. Based on the ASA code and other event schedules, that was the ONLY weekend that was available for that particular qualifier.

With the focus of most, if not all, 18Gold teams on showcasing vs competing, the results were not unexpected.

Mar 26, 2013
That qualifier was scheduled not by ASA, but by the local ASA association. You can probably figure out by my avatar which association that was. Based on the ASA code and other event schedules, that was the ONLY weekend that was available for that particular qualifier.
It's a territory event, so I wouldn't put all the blame on AZ. There are 3 regions and numerous associations that should share it.

BTW, thanks for the info you've provided regarding 16G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors