Another 10 year old

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

DB1

Apr 23, 2009
Metro East StL

Hello,

Finally got some video of my 10 year old daughter. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. Things that I see are a little forward lean at release and could use a little more leg drive.

Thanks again,
DB

Jan 27, 2010
First thing she needs to learn is to relax the shoulders.Keep her shoulder down and stay closer to the hip at release.Her shoulder is leading and closing early.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
She needs to use more of her legs, she is just 'throwing' more than pitching. She is stepping out too far away from powerline. Also the shoulders seem to square too much towards home plate. They need more angle. Squaring too much can cause injuries and stress to the shoulders. But these are all simple fixes.

I think if you have her to stop the stepping out, the shoulders will angle and fix that problem. Stepping out makes the shoulder turn in naturally.

Good luck.

Feb 5, 2010
DB1, I'm NOT going to give adice in DD motion because I don't have the background. I will say this though. Give her a solid fondation to pitch from. Put yourself in her shoes, all of this is hard enough to do without having to deal with the mat sliding on the push off and the landing. If they have to worry about sliding around, it will make it hard to focus on other areas. One less thing to worry about. We all know what it is like to not be sure of our footing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Is she using a pitching coach? When I lived in Springfield, IL. the best coach around was in your area. People drove down to take their kids to George Jones.

Yes, put some gripper tape or something under that pitching mat.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
She looks ok to me, with my limited knowledge. The main thing I saw, that I didn't like was that she was striding to the side instead of right at her target. I believe they call in the power line.

Jan 27, 2010
I can't say for sure she was striding out of the powerline because the mat she was pitching on was not stationary and I don't know where the catcher was set up.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Please don't take this wrong, but she looks so incredibly passive. No drive or athletic intent whatsoever. She may not be cut out for pitching fastpitch.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
DB,
In addition to getting that mat stuck to the ground some way, grab some tape and a can of spray paint and put a powerline down the middle of the mat. That will give her something to aim for, as it looks like she's stepping open. You could also put her flat on the floor and work to get her exploding more when she makes her forward move. She needs to bend those knees and generate some push off her right leg. At finish, a cue I use for girls who seem flatfooted and passive is to finish more up on their toes. They need to use the stride foot landing as a spring, not so much as a shock absorber. leaners tend to land soft and stay soft on the front leg, while exploders straighten out and get tall at the end of their motions. Try some of that--it will make her look and feel more athletically active.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32