Analyze DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2009
Everyone, thanks for the tips and advice.

Howard, that is exactly how she throws, she has good weight transfer. I taught her how to throw from young on, unfortunately this will only be her 3rd year of playing fastpitch. We only had little league, slow pitch in our area.
I was concerned that there wasn't any separation, among all the other things all of you have pointed out. I just wanted to get all the expert opinions on here.

Thank you all!!!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
The above video clip is good because you can see the back elbow path, keep it inside to the body during rotation and the hands close, wrists cocked, stay connected, use the torso centrifugal force to accelerate the bat.

This is what you are practicing when you practice smashing at batting practice (no wrist release or extension). If you dont practice smashing, you should be. Always smash before you begin hitting to reinforce this mechanic.

You can see that this is how the hands take the shortest, fastest path to the hitting position.

Next feel the wrist action in releasing the bat. Bottom hand pulls, upper hand pushes to swing the bat like a pendulum.

After contact extend, commonly called hitting the "next" ball, finish over shoulder.

Teach your daughter these main points and she will have a good start to a good swing. The rest is fine tuning.

It really isnt that hard, most comes naturally with timing step and weight shift. How to start the swing with the body instead of arms and hands , and keep connected instead of letting bat drag is most of what she needs to learn.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
My DD love it inside and middle up. It's very hard to get speed by her. But I've taught her that once the pitcher finds your weakness they'll use it. And she knows when she hits college, she'll face the same pitchers alot so they will know her as well as she knows them. She can take outside stuff to the Right side gap. She's not a big fan of the drop but will either foul it off or bang it through the IF. When I work with her now, that's what we work on. I do drop drills with her alot. We set up the Juggs lite flite throwing sliders to various spots. I also have a bunch of old lite flight balls that come in slower than new ones. So they are like change ups. Gives her a chance to foul them off. Hitting old dirty baseball size balls in a dark basement all winter certainly helps when we get outside again lol.

OK, it's not an adjustment then, it's her standard swing? I'd start working on learning to drive the low outside strike HARD. Set the tee deep and go to work.

Feb 6, 2009
Yes mark, standard swing. I think all hitters have a Hot zone and a not so hot zone. I've been able to see what hers is. We have worked on the concept of "looking for your pitch". Early in the counts, she's going to look middle in and rip at it. The next step was to learn to foul off junk she doesn't like. She's pretty good with two strikes cause she'll shorten up and foul off stuff she doesn't like and hope she gets something she likes. But as she has developed, she has learnedshe can also drive the outside pitch hard too. So she's getting better at looking middle out and driving that. Constant learning. Any thoughts, I'm listening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah