Amount of time spent practicing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
How much time does your kid spend practicing outside of team practices? Could be with a private instructor, parent or by herself.

Jun 18, 2010
About 4.5 hours a week. We practice pitching and hitting 3 times a week outside of scheduled practices. Our practice usually lasts about 1.5 hours.

Jun 18, 2010
I should also add, that during our practices, we try to make it fun. Some days she doesn't have it, some days I don't. On those days we just skip it. DD's social calendar is really picking up. I try to be flexible and allow our practices to float around her outside interests as to not make practicing feel like a chore. We always try to joke and laugh as much as possible and be as positive and upbeat as possible. During our warmups or cool downs we have some really good father/daughter time to discuss how her day was or how things are going in general. In other words, practice is more than just softball.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD is 14 & a pitcher....she needs to throw 3x/week for 30 minutes to stay sharp and work on her pitches.....batting will be 1-2x/week for 30 minutes each....

Feb 3, 2011
10u pitcher: 3-3.5 hours

5-6 30-minute pitching sessions per week
1 30-minute hitting lesson per week

She was hitting on her own more often, but has recently scaled that back as she fits other end-of-summer activities in around her pretty heavy sports schedule. Sometimes she'll only get in 20 minutes of pitching, but her focus right now apart from developing more consistency is building up her stamina.

The one thing she's requesting that there's been no real time for is practice behind the plate.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
We stay flexible with how much time we spend practicing. Here is our goal:
Pitching: 1 1hr lesson
2 30min.-1hr practice at home
Hitting: 1 1hr lesson(this a group lesson with about 4 other girls)
50 swings 2-3 x off tee/swing away/soft toss
Fielding: We try to do about 20 min. ground ball/flyballs after pitching practice
Like I said this what we try to acheive. Dd's life does not revolve around softball so we are flexible with it. Especially with fall ball starting.
We try to make sure practices at home are productive and that we are working on things, not just going thru the motions.
I don not fight with dd about practicing, I will prompt her though. Some times she prompts me. We have lots of things to work around but if she is just sitting there watching tv, ther is no discussion about practicing
She is a young lady who loves to play softball and wants to be good at it, not a softball player that wants to be a little girl.

Jun 21, 2010
Away from practice we work primarily on catching and hitting. Hitting, twice a week about 200 balls each mainly off machine, but some t work too. Catching, twice a week for about an hour to hour and half ( depends on how well she's doing day to day ). Mainly throw downs to second. Working on accuracy, low trajectory, and quick pop-throw speed. When we are in our cage DD will catch from a machine and occasionally I'll adjust so balls drop in front of her for blocking drills.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
It really depends on my DD schedule . By the end of rec ball she was playing on 2 rec ball teams and her travel team . Between practices and games she was playing 5-6 days a week so there wasn't much time for anything outside of that . Once rec ball was over she had 2 practices a week with her team , 2 hour long practices with me and worked out with the local high school girls once or twice a week for 2 hours plus tournaments every other weekend . We worked a lot on hitting this summer since I had access to a cage and pitching machine but she also did a lot of soft toss and tee work into a net in the backyard . I would guess we spent 4-6 hours a week outside of her team practices working on different things .

Jun 3, 2010
We live 2 hours away from our TB team. In the summer we travel only once a week for a team practice. We try to take 40+ ground balls 3X a week and about 10-15 fly balls each time. She will take about 250 -300 swing during the week.

Since school has started we dont travel to the team practice, but twice a week we have 45 minute BP session, and a 30 minutes on infield.

She has played better in her last two tournaments since we slacked off a little.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA