Am I right or wrong here?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You're right of course, but I chuckled when I think of how most teams built around one parents DD are a joke. It's usually someone who thinks their DD is too good and being held back by her current team and they form a team with a bunch of other disgruntled parents. What could go wrong there? :)

Yep, they should start a new reality TV Show - "Psycho Softball Parents". It would give "Dance Moms" a run for their money!

Nov 18, 2013
I find your experience interesting. My DD's both played on several teams with daddy HCs and with the exception of one HC (12U) we never had any issues. I have seen several cases of a daddy AC whose DD seemed to get preferential treatment as far as spot in the batting order and position played. In all those cases, the HC was not a parent.

Parent coaches are fine. I’m talking about the parent who pulls their kid from a program and builds a new club team centered around their DD’s. The purpose of many of these teams isn’t to develop players, but to have their DD’s be the star. What usually happens is they find 10 other parents who all feel the same way about their own kids and they implode after a season or two.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I find your experience interesting. My DD's both played on several teams with daddy HCs and with the exception of one HC (12U) we never had any issues. I have seen several cases of a daddy AC whose DD seemed to get preferential treatment as far as spot in the batting order and position played. In all those cases, the HC was not a parent.

There are lots of teams with parents who coach, as a matter of fact that is probably how most teams start out. Most paid coaches do not start until the older age groups, and even at the older age groups there are still a lot of teams with parent coaches.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Parent coaches are fine. I’m talking about the parent who pulls their kid from a program and builds a new club team centered around their DD’s. The purpose of many of these teams isn’t to develop players, but to have their DD’s be the star. What usually happens is they find 10 other parents who all feel the same way about their own kids and they implode after a season or two.

I guess we have been fortunate that on the teams where my DD's played for dad HCs (that were all started by dads when their DDs were 10U) the HC DDs were actually really good ballplayers. There were no issues with favoritism because their DD absolutely deserved to be playing P/C/SS/3B, and should be batting somewhere in the top 5 in the order. Those teams stayed around and were good solid teams all the way up through 18U.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I guess we have been fortunate that on the teams where my DD's played for dad HCs (that were all started by dads when their DDs were 10U) the HC DDs were actually really good ballplayers. There were no issues with favoritism because their DD absolutely deserved to be playing P/C/SS/3B, and should be batting somewhere in the top 5 in the order. Those teams stayed around and were good solid teams all the way up through 18U.

When the coach is honest about their DD's skills - good, bad, or somewhere between - it tends to work out okay.

May 6, 2014
Snotbubbles - I see you are also active on the Fastpitch Online forum here in the NJ area with the same screen name. I believe you identified what team your DD played for there at one point in time (I was amused by your screen name and it stuck with me). So you're being pretty transparent (or passive aggressive - whichever way you want to look at it) if you're trying to get a point across to your DD's coach. Take the advice given here. Whatever you do, don't sit and stew about it. Discuss it outright with the coach. If you don't like what he has to say or he's not putting his words into actions, time to look into making the leap to 12U for the spring. There's an abundance of teams in our area and as you can tell by the forum, most of them are looking for pitchers. Good luck.

Jun 12, 2015
Yep, they should start a new reality TV Show - "Psycho Softball Parents". It would give "Dance Moms" a run for their money!

As a rule I don't watch "reality" TV but I would make an exception for Psycho Softball Parents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30