Am I being too strict on my rec players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Thankfully, we haven't had any bad injuries all season, but we did have a scary moment recently a player got hit in the head with a ball thrown by a teammate at practice.

Maybe I didn't understand...I thought you were referring to parents or gramma coming by the dugout and speaking to Suzie. When kids are in the field I expect everyone to be focused on the task at hand. When sitting in the dugout they should be able to enjoy each other's company. I don't think I'd like to see a form presented at the start of REC when I'm just hoping Suzie gets outside and learns a game. Have a parent meeting and go over cheering and other aspects of the game. AGAIN, travel is a different animal. When I am shelling out K's for my kid to play I expect the other kids to be there, equipped and ready to go at the start of practice.

Jul 21, 2009
Speaking as one of "those" parents (and I'm trying to be better), I think it is unrealistic to think that ALL parents won't say anything to their DD. I am by no means saying I am justified in telling my DD something, but sometimes it just comes out. When I find myself really fighting the urge to say something, I try to walk away so I can see the game but too far away to say anything.

Put a runner on base. The batter hits a fly ball that's caught by an OF... how many "get backs" are you going to hear from the stands? Again, not saying it's right, just saying it happens.

Last night, middle school game. DD is pitching. She got the ball back and is looking at the catcher/batter (not on the plate yet). BU calls time so SS can tie her shoe. I tell DD "there's time behind you". Was I wrong to say that? Yes. I was just trying to communicate that she could get a couple extra breaths/relax while waiting. She told me after the game the coach told her she shouldn't even notice me saying anything, that she should be focused on the game. Can't disagree with that. But other parents are talking to their DD's while they're in the on deck circle, at the plate, or while catching. Coach doesn't say anything to them. I just bring this up to say if you're going to make that rule, make sure you enforce it equally. For the record, that was the ONLY thing I said to DD the entire game.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Do you give the girls any time to talk and relax? This come up in a recent thread and I think its a good thing.

Our rec team would probably drive you crazy. They're great girls but I think we got all of the class clowns on our team. They are definitely here for the fun.

The last game they got very chatty in the dugout, I loudly said watch the pitcher. They turned to each other and immediately started the "Watch the pitcher watch watch the pitcher" chant. Laughingly I said no no no actually watch the pitcher. At what age do they get new chants?:rolleyes:

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Speaking as one of "those" parents (and I'm trying to be better), I think it is unrealistic to think that ALL parents won't say anything to their DD. I am by no means saying I am justified in telling my DD something, but sometimes it just comes out. When I find myself really fighting the urge to say something, I try to walk away so I can see the game but too far away to say anything.

Put a runner on base. The batter hits a fly ball that's caught by an OF... how many "get backs" are you going to hear from the stands? Again, not saying it's right, just saying it happens.

Last night, middle school game. DD is pitching. She got the ball back and is looking at the catcher/batter (not on the plate yet). BU calls time so SS can tie her shoe. I tell DD "there's time behind you". Was I wrong to say that? Yes. I was just trying to communicate that she could get a couple extra breaths/relax while waiting. She told me after the game the coach told her she shouldn't even notice me saying anything, that she should be focused on the game. Can't disagree with that. But other parents are talking to their DD's while they're in the on deck circle, at the plate, or while catching. Coach doesn't say anything to them. I just bring this up to say if you're going to make that rule, make sure you enforce it equally. For the record, that was the ONLY thing I said to DD the entire game.

My mother who passed away in '09 was a big sports fan. She always supported what her DDs or grandkids did with full force. BUT she never did learn the true rules of most of the sports we played.

I remembered on several occasions of being quite embarrassed on the field or court, when she would yell out some phrase from the stands that was totally wrong. ;-)

Feb 3, 2011
Maybe I didn't understand...I thought you were referring to parents or gramma coming by the dugout and speaking to Suzie. When kids are in the field I expect everyone to be focused on the task at hand. When sitting in the dugout they should be able to enjoy each other's company. I don't think I'd like to see a form presented at the start of REC when I'm just hoping Suzie gets outside and learns a game. Have a parent meeting and go over cheering and other aspects of the game. AGAIN, travel is a different animal. When I am shelling out K's for my kid to play I expect the other kids to be there, equipped and ready to go at the start of practice.
It's a combination of things. The specific incident did involve a family member carrying on some bit of conversation with the player which resulted in the snacking. Both of those by themselves are tiny occurrences that did not lead to any injury or put anyone at risk. But at the same time, both are no-no's within the context of the environment we've created and wish to sustain for the players here.

It has nothing to do with a philosophy of 'stay focused, so we can beat this team'. Although I do think our players play their best when their heads are in the game, that's secondary to making sure they are safe at all times when in my charge. I won't apologize for that, nor will I modify my thinking.

In yesterday's game (we played the all-star team again), their backup 3B was spacing out and very nearly got her head taken off by a ball that was roped down the line, landing just foul. Their coach immediately switched her out.

I accept that spacing out is a part of the culture in rec ball, but that doesn't not absolve us coaches of the responsibility to do everything possible to decrease the chances of the kids getting hurt out there.

Jan 25, 2011
both are no-no's within the context of the environment we've created and wish to sustain for the players here.

come on man lighten up on this, or these girls won't want to play anymore.I would like to know how big the trophy is at the end of the year is,are their endorsments up for grasps? These are 8 & 10 year old girls in rec. ball.Not 18 gold teams looking for a D-1 scout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Have fun...look around and see if it looks like they are having fun. Do you see smiles and hear laughter? Let that be your answer.

Feb 3, 2011
Have fun...look around and see if it looks like they are having fun. Do you see smiles and hear laughter? Let that be your answer.
Yes. It seems the players really answered the question for me. They're loving it and already asking whether I'll draft them again next year. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck