All Star Team Selected, first practice tonight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
After all the drama leading up to the All Star team tryouts, Saturday went very smooth. I had two problematic coaches/parents with DDs potentially trying out: one who also competed for the AS Manager selection and lost and another coach who had anger management issues. The first coach had stormed out of the meeting yelling that he was going to make sure no one tried out for the team. Reality: we had 26 girls tryout for the 14U team. Largest turn out in 5 years. Apparently the only player who didn't try out was his own DD. The second coach, the one with anger management issues, DD did try out. The talent this year was extremely strong and his DD was not ranked in the top 12. When I spoke with him and his DD on Sunday both were very accepting of the decision. The team I did select appears to be very strong.

7 days a week, two a day practices start today. 5 - 7 AM and 4 - 9 PM. Not sure that will be enough practice as our first tournament is 3.5 weeks away. Should I consider 3 a day on Saturdays and Sundays?

Just Kidding. We practice 4 days during the week 5 - 7 PM and Saturday 9 - 11 until tournaments start. Then we move to 3 times a week with Monday dark.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
You are already in rec all stars? Our rec teams have played three games thus far, but I must remember that you are in SoCal. Love the differences that this board makes me aware of!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Should I consider 3 a day on Saturdays and Sundays

If you want to have some fun, do a 10:00 and 1:30 practice, and have the parents grill up some burgers for lunch. It is a blast.

You get hamburger patties at Sam's, some chips and soft drinks, and it is really a wonderful time.

Mar 15, 2010
You are already in rec all stars? Our rec teams have played three games thus far, but I must remember that you are in SoCal. Love the differences that this board makes me aware of!

First game was Feb 27th. It was a horrible day. The sun was so bright my outfielders had trouble tracking the ball. We were playing at the coast that day and the afternoon breezes really chilled the air. By the end of the second game the temperature was in the low 60s and I was afraid the players might suffer hypothermia or frost bite. It is tough playing softball in SoCal but I am willing to make the sacrifices.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We started practicing in Feb here in central Alabama. We are not lucky enough to have the weather ya'll have out there. Our average high in Feb was 49 but luckily I only had to cancel one practice because the temps were below 40. The night of our first game it dropped into the thirty's by the time we wrapped up. All of my girls had a rough time tracking balls as well. Seems it's hard to see when your tears freeze your eyelids shut.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
We start in February as well. We went hard core this year, practicing in the snow. Stuff like that is probably why we are 9-3 right now, one of our best records ever. (School Varsity)

Mar 15, 2010

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32