All Star MVP Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2015
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at getting a new catchers mask for my 14U player.
I wanted to get your opinions on the All Star MVP catchers masks. First, the MVP2500 has removable, washable liners and is about $40 more than the MVP2400 which appears to be mechanically the same except it has non-removable liners. Do you think $40 for removable liners is worth the price? Second, her head is right at hat size 7, at the edge of both youth and adult sizes. I would assume to go with the adult size but would appreciate any opinions. Thanks!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would go with the adult size mask and add padding with a "fit kit" if necessary. For the $40 extra for a washable liner I guess it depends on if you will actually wash it.

Feb 7, 2014
I'm looking at new catcher's equipment as well for my DD. My biggest 'beef' with the retail stores is that often when you walk in looking for current softball equipment more often than not they just don't have any.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at getting a new catchers mask for my 14U player.
I wanted to get your opinions on the All Star MVP catchers masks. First, the MVP2500 has removable, washable liners and is about $40 more than the MVP2400 which appears to be mechanically the same except it has non-removable liners. Do you think $40 for removable liners is worth the price? Second, her head is right at hat size 7, at the edge of both youth and adult sizes. I would assume to go with the adult size but would appreciate any opinions. Thanks!

I wish my DD's Wilson helmet had removable and washable pads. It's getting a little ripe. Whether or no that is worth $40 is up to you.

I'm looking at new catcher's equipment as well for my DD. My biggest 'beef' with the retail stores is that often when you walk in looking for current softball equipment more often than not they just don't have any.

Most big-box sporting goods stores don't carry a good selection of softball-specific catchers gear. For your best selection, you're better off following the manufacturer's sizing charts and ordering online.

The consensus of DFP'ers tends to recommend All-Star and Wilson ProMotion gear as the top picks for comfort, materials, and protection.

Jun 24, 2011
DD wears that mask and it's been worth every penny. An additional benefit to the removal padding is that it provides the ability to custom fit the mask for optimal comfort. We also bought the two-tone version, where the crown of the helmet is white. That's a big plus when she's participating in daily hundred-degree-plus practices at school.

FWIW, we didn't pay MSRP.

Feb 7, 2014
The consensus of DFP'ers tends to recommend All-Star and Wilson ProMotion gear as the top picks for comfort, materials, and protection.

That's great to know - thanks Eric. I know Jay Weaver mentioned All-Star at the NECC Camps, but haven't had a chance to see that equipment in person. Do you know anyone using this series? iX5

My DD has an older model catcher's helmet of that line.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
That's great to know - thanks Eric. I know Jay Weaver mentioned All-Star at the NECC Camps, but haven't had a chance to see that equipment in person. Do you know anyone using this series? iX5

My DD has an older model catcher's helmet of that line.

Jay works very closely with All-Star, and his recommendation was influential in our decision to go with the AS legs and chest. DD has been very happy with her gear.

I have not seen the Diamond catcher's gear in person.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
My daughter wears the MVP 2500 youth and loves it. We got her that mask when she was 9 (now 12) and it has been great. Definitely get the removable pads! They are easy to pull out and wash out in sink with dish soap to keep helmet from stinking. The pads work great for both protection and absorbing sweat, as a result they are soaked after 100 degree games. My daughter likes to pull out the pads and soak them in ice water in between games (and sometimes innings). We tried on the adult version at the beginning of this season and she thought it was too "clunky" fitting (~ size 7 head). Problem with the youth version is that the elastic straps for the back plate are maxed out. I don't think the designer accounted for it going over a pony tail. I need to figure out how to put on longer ones. The paint job on the All Star masks is impressive. She has beaten the crap out of that thing for 3 years now, and with a quick once over with a magic eraser, it looks nearly new. I do remember that the youth 2 tone was very had to find in white/maroon. I ended up getting a really good deal on the whole set from baseballplusstore.com in upstate New York. She has taken some pretty good shots to the mask with foul tips and never had any issues to her or the helmet cracking.

FWIW, she did switch from the matching All Star shin guards to the Schutt. The All Star's fit well, but cracked once a season.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Jay works very closely with All-Star, and his recommendation was influential in our decision to go with the AS legs and chest. DD has been very happy with her gear.

I have not seen the Diamond catcher's gear in person.

Us too. I like the gel inserts for the knee cap area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi