Question about all-star gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Don Morton’s still has a 12” System Seven baseball glove available, trim that hideous finger hood flush with the binding then place your index finger on top of it. Probably make a great fastpitch utility glove, definitely built better than the Vela FP gloves!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
You guys make it really easy to spend money. Should be here Tuesday.

Break in tips?

You'll get varying answers but I always use this method. Put a towel with a 1/4 cup of water on it and the glove in your clothes dryer for 5 minutes on normal/medium heat. No more than 5 minutes or you'll damage the glove. Next, rub a quality conditioner such as Vinci or Mizuno Strong Oil on it while it's still warm and work it into the leather. Next get a glove mallet or old ball and work/form the pocket. Work the heel of the glove and the pocket more. Put a ball in the pocket and use a couple of large rubber bands or glove wrap to hold it in. Throw it under the mattress and sleep on it a few days. After a few days, take it out and give it to your DD then go play lots of catch.

Note: Do not apply the conditioner more than once nor do you want to make a second application any sooner than 2 weeks. Any further application should not be sooner than 6 weeks after the second application. The more used the further it will break down the leather and the quicker the glove will be just like the one it replaced. Do not use glove oil, hot glove treatment or have it steamed.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
@badmonkey maybe I didn't say that the best way. Don't apply a second or third coat of conditioner until playing an awful lot of catch. I'd suggest waiting 4 weeks or so until you see how much it actually breaks in. Usually, I'll only need the initial application. I work the glove a total of 3-4 times plus throw a lot with DD over those 4 weeks. Only then will I apply a very light second coat if it's not where she wants it. Too much of a good thing in this particular instance is bad. The more you use, the more it will shorten the life-span of the glove.

Aug 2, 2019
Thanks. That's very helpful, and confirmation that my idea on how to do it was off base.

Thinking about making DD do the mallet work under supervision, and helping with the conditioning. Thinking maybe it will help her feel a bond with her new glove, and maybe she'll get some pride out of doing the work herself.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I don't disagree with a thing YOCOACH said. Just know that glove already has a good amount of oil infused in it from the Tanning process, it really doesn't need anything applied right now. And the leather on these All-Stars is straight forward Steerhide, nothing that requires any extreme break in measures. Have her sit in the floor watching TV and just roll it around on the carpet and hand shape it, most importantly, just play catch!

After 3, 4, 5 months when it starts looking dry (you'll know when that is) condition it then.

May 21, 2014
Do they use Poron? If so it breaks down and turns into little balls, if you're going to have a palm pad, leather is the way to go!
I believe it is. It bulges into the hand stall and isn’t a layer between the palm and pocket. Haven’t torn into either of the ones I still have because they both will need mods to make them playable and haven’t had time. I’ll try and get some pics.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Oh c'mon now, the finger hood on DD's All Star FGS7 (Black & Tan combo) isn't that bad, I hardly notice it anymore. When I brought up that some of the old guys on here don't like it said "I don't think it's ugly at all". In fact, she has recently proclaimed it as her favorite looking glove taking over that honor from her black Vinci BV1929-L.

The palm padding (PGP - Pro Guard Padding) in this glove so far has been excellent so far, with almost daily use and almost a year of service. Not sure if Poron is what they use or not but it feels pretty good! No bulging or balling up yet.

Also, regarding break in, just go play catch! Yes, I massaged it a bit and beat it up some with my homemade ball mallet but mostly it was just playing catch with her sister. As AnnasDad said it comes fairly well infused with oil so I wouldn't apply anything for a while. We live in a relatively dry climate so after a couple months we did put some leftover Vinci oil on the finger tips and laces along with a very light coat of Obenaufs inside the palm and finger area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles