Question about all-star gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2019
DD is ready for a new glove. I've seen lots of positive feed back about All-Star, and particularly the Vela. It appears the Vela has been replaced by the AF Elite series. I am looking at a 12" glove with the H-web. This glove only comes in black in the 12" size. The brown leather glove in this size appears to only come with a basket web.

My question is, is there a difference in the quality, or durability of the black leather vs the brown? Will break in be the same?

As someone with little to no knowledge of gloves, my expectation is that they should be the same quality and the difference purely aesthetic, but every other thread on here confirms that my expectations and reality rarely converge on softball related subjects.

Edit- She primarily plays 3rd, with some outfield mixed in.

Apr 30, 2018
DD loves her Vela, I like All-Star. I've been on this forum long enough though that all I hear is @ANNASDAD saying light laces are bad, so I'd go black, plus for a 3B, OF I like the H-web better.

Feb 13, 2020
There is not going to be any difference in quality of the black and brown version of the same glove. It is going to be a personal preference. I've always been a fan of brown personally!

Aug 2, 2019
They should break-in the same or close to it but I've always liked black.

I've always liked the look of black gloves, but I've never have a quality glove. I'm looking for something decent that will last DD for a while, and don't want to make a choice on aesthetics that will compromise quality.

May 21, 2014
The palm pad they put in these gloves will break down before the leather does, regardless of color.
It's too bad because the 3 finger design makes the pocket larger, meaning there should be zero need for the clunky pad pad they have in the hand stall. Maybe one day they will get these gloves exactly right.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I like the black H-web utility model the best, just can't understand what idiot decided to okay putting metallic binding on that model? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, a company like All-star could build a solid glove with top notch materials, the right patterns and webs for multiple positions and make it affordable and just kill the big three in fastpitch! Metallic binding........it's purdy! :sick:

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The palm pad they put in these gloves will break down before the leather does, regardless of color.
It's too bad because the 3 finger design makes the pocket larger, meaning there should be zero need for the clunky pad pad they have in the hand stall. Maybe one day they will get these gloves exactly right.
Do they use Poron? If so it breaks down and turns into little balls, if you're going to have a palm pad, leather is the way to go!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD used an AS Vela fielders glove for 3+ years (practices and secondary position). Great glove! The finger loops eventually stiffened up and got very hard. Never had a problem with the palm pad.

Aug 2, 2019
I like the black H-web utility model the best, just can't understand what idiot decided to okay putting metallic binding on that model? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, a company like All-star could build a solid glove with top notch materials, the right patterns and webs for multiple positions and make it affordable and just kill the big three in fastpitch! Metallic binding........it's purdy! :sick:
That metallic binding was a bit of a turn off for me. Black and silver? No thanks, I live in Chiefs country. But then I remembered DD likes shiny stuff, and it is for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles