Alexis Osorio

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
osorio_3rd_zpsktuhelca.gif

i like Osorio's mechanics, but one question about her right foot taking a step before she pushes off.
is that legal? after the step, her right foot is STILL in contact (barely) with the rubber (at the heel), so that's legal, right?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
In the other video both feet are off. Man she can spin it. In reference to the mask. My daughter wears one and it did not effect her recruiting one bit. I seen Georgia's Pitcher and middle infield wearing masks but not the corners. Found that interesting.

Mar 26, 2013
i like Osorio's mechanics, but one question about her right foot taking a step before she pushes off.
is that legal? after the step, her right foot is STILL in contact (barely) with the rubber (at the heel), so that's legal, right?
NCAA rule:

10.4.4 It is legal to slide the pivot foot forward or across the pitcher’s plate provided contact with the pitcher’s plate is maintained. Exception: Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:
10.4.4.1 The pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher’s plate when the pitcher turns, twists or bends her pivot foot;
10.4.4.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate; and
10.4.4.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however, rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
NCAA rule:

10.4.4 It is legal to slide the pivot foot forward or across the pitcher’s plate provided contact with the pitcher’s plate is maintained. Exception: Physical contact with the pitcher’s plate may be lost if all of the following apply:
10.4.4.1 The pivot foot is in contact with the pitcher’s plate when the pitcher turns, twists or bends her pivot foot;
10.4.4.2 If the pivot foot has not reduced the distance to home plate; and
10.4.4.3 The pivot foot must remain in contact with the ground; however, rocking onto either the toe or heel is allowed.

So, it is an IP? Based on that I'm going to say yes.

Mar 26, 2013
Looks to me like she loses contact with the plate on the mini-step forward and doesn't meet all the required criteria for the exception (i.e. 10.4.4.2). It's also significant all this transpires after the pitch started with the separation of her hands.

Sep 10, 2013
So, it is an IP? Based on that I'm going to say yes.

i guess as long as some part of the foot remains in contact with the plate, it's legal. in the 1st base GIF, osorio's right heel seems to make contact with the plate - barely.
taking a small step forward seems to give a better position for a stronger drive/push.

Mar 26, 2013
i guess as long as some part of the foot remains in contact with the plate, it's legal. in the 1st base GIF, osorio's right heel seems to make contact with the plate - barely.
taking a small step forward seems to give a better position for a stronger drive/push.
The GIF from the 1st base side shows the plate and the 3rd base side shows the foot's movement better. IMO looks like her foot loses contact on the step forward. Taking a small step forward off the plate is also a crow hop.

10.4.6 Crow hopping is not allowed. The pitcher may not replant, gain a second starting point and push off her pivot foot. Once having lost contact with the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may trail on the ground but may not bear weight again until the pitch is released.

Jun 22, 2008
But she does reduce the distance to home plate. Interested to see what the DFP umps say. [MENTION=426]Comp[/MENTION] [MENTION=5021]Ajaywill[/MENTION] [MENTION=2016]BretMan[/MENTION]

Im not an NCAA umpire, but based on the rules she should be getting called for it in college. Based on the wording of the rule, she can lift the foot straight up, but it must come back down where it originally was, she cannot reduce the distance to home. In any other rule set, she cannot lift the foot up and set it back down. She can slide it around as long as she maintains contact with the pitching plate. In USA she could slide it all the way forward to the point only the heel is touching the pitching plate, but NFHS requires a portion of the foot to be on top of the pitching plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi