Agility pole awesomeness

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I purchased these two agility poles last fall with the intentions of using then during winter velocity training.

Correction, I purchased the two bases. The poles that came with them were made of plastic and broke the first time they were hit by a semi-fast all. I've replaced them with sturdier PVC.

agility poles.jpg

Since using them I have come up with many many ways of using them. At first it was to produce a narrow lane for the pitchers to pitch through, to address striding, glove and lean issues.
Then I began using them for visual references to stay back, push more, etc. Being taller than my Tee they are more visual.

Then for my pitchers that were learning the place the ball outside and inside, I began to set the poles up way outside the plate and had them pitch the ball between the plate and the pole, slowly moving the pole in after each success.
It was amazing how the visual cue help the girls focus and in no time at all they were hitting their spots.

Seeing the success in this, I took the poles on my latest fresh beginners and set them up in the batters box as shown in the picture above. This was an immediate success. before the students were worried about "hitting the batter", now they were having fun "not hitting the poles". And we had a good laugh whenever a pole was hit and "knocked down the batter":) Scary became fun.

As a fun drill, I set the poles up on the outside of the batters boxes on each side about 5' in front of the plate and the pitchers pitch a pitch between the poles, which each success the poles move closer. Beginners get 3 tries each, experienced beginners get 2 each and everyone else gets just one.

The focus I get out this drill is incredible. last week I had 5 girls make it all the way to where the 2 bases touch and 2 girls actually pitched it through without a touched pole. One of these girls was one of my beginners on her 4th lesson! She threw about 5 pitches in a row right down the center of the plate, she hadn't thrown more than 2 in a row the whole class.

Just wanted to share. I was just going to use these from time to time, but looks like I'll be lugging them to every class for now on!:rolleyes:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What is the base made of? I am afraid that the ball would hit it sometimes and ricochet into me (the catcher). Or are you using them with a net behind them?

JoJo
Good stuff....always valuable to have a frame of reference. I am including a pic of a device I use in a number of ways also. One of the nice things about it is the ribbon you see stretched across between the poles is an elastic "Chinese jump rope" which will not distract the ball flight path on the way to the catcher. With a few adaptations and extensions you can use this for virtually every pitch.
Also, since I may be the worst handyman in the world (call wife for conformation on this) I know anyone can build the standards out of 1 1/2" PVC and fittings from Home Depot.

CIMG0426.jpg

Oct 22, 2009
The bases are hard rubber.

When I have the pitchers pitch between them, I move them up enough so that if they are hit, they are far enough out front that the poles can't reach the catcher or the catcher can react. For some of the really fast pitchers, the parents opt out of sitting on the bucket, then I place a rag in the fence as a focus point and the pitchers don't have an issue with that.

Oct 22, 2009
Thanks RP, I've thought about using a string with the poles for rises and drops, and maybe setting them up for curves and screws as well.

Mar 28, 2013
Im sure its a great tool and thanks for sharing but my face,shins and other areas are scared to Death about having a pole in front of me when catching.LOL

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
JoJo
Good stuff....always valuable to have a frame of reference. I am including a pic of a device I use in a number of ways also. One of the nice things about it is the ribbon you see stretched across between the poles is an elastic "Chinese jump rope" which will not distract the ball flight path on the way to the catcher. With a few adaptations and extensions you can use this for virtually every pitch.
Also, since I may be the worst handyman in the world (call wife for conformation on this) I know anyone can build the standards out of 1 1/2" PVC and fittings from Home Depot.

The chinese jump ropes are a must. I've taken two face balls in my life... one from an assistant... and the other from a redirected rope deflection. I was watching a RLG video and she brought up this handy idea of using chinese jump ropes to prevent re-direction... Spent $10 on more chinese jump ropes than I'll ever need... and still have all my teeth... great dental insurance for PC's or bucket-parents. Great share Jojo and Rick.

Also, the PVC is an easy and portable way to make stands... made one of these after playing ladder ball at a reunion. Get 2 lengths (10') of 1 1/2" of PVC, 10 end caps, and 6 T's. Total bill is like $30-35. All you need is something to cut the pvc... chop saws are ideal... but a hack saw or one of those wire cutters will do just fine, too.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I purchased these two agility poles last fall with the intentions of using then during winter velocity training.

Correction, I purchased the two bases. The poles that came with them were made of plastic and broke the first time they were hit by a semi-fast all. I've replaced them with sturdier PVC.

Great idea and I think I have access to these too!

They look a lot like DD's pole bending poles set up at rodeos where she competes. That could explain why they broke with the first fastball. They are designed to break at the base when the horse hits it too hard to avoid injury to the horse and/or rider.

Oct 22, 2009
Im sure its a great tool and thanks for sharing but my face,shins and other areas are scared to Death about having a pole in front of me when catching.LOL

We just set up the bucket and a rag in the fence for the harder throwers.

Jul 26, 2010
Cool stuff Jojo. I'm gonna go raid the soccer team's cage now ;P. I always just stuck pool noodles over old/broken T's, but the agility poles seem much more portable.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi