Age Requirements for Softball Associations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Has anyone heard of Little League, Babe Ruth, Pony, ASA, PGF, etc changing the dates to determine what age your DD plays in?

I sat at a practice last night and was told the USFA (United States Fastpitch Association (USFA)) organization is changing their dates to August 1 and the rest would follow, but I find that hard to believe.

Nov 29, 2009
I doubt it will change unless you get the ASA, USSSA and NSA associations to agree to change back to the Aug 1st date bringing the player ages more in line with school grades. They are the most relevant bodies in the youth softball sport in the USA. The 12/31 date has the unintended consequences of players being caught in the fall limbo period which really shows at the 14U level. This spring I had 7 girls playing HS ball and 3 2nd year 14's who were still in 8th grade.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
ASA did change guys. They changed Feb 1 of this year to Aug 1. My understanding is all the org got together and agreed to change to Aug 1 effective this year.

Jun 10, 2014
We are running into the age problem. My daughter played 12u softball this spring (league lets fall play with their grade) and made the summer All Star team. But, she has a December bday so she has to play 14u and we play many 15u teams. She was one of the better 12u players but is really struggling at this level. I think she would have been fine in 12u but the girls on her team and the ones we play against are much more experienced. I feel bad for her as I think it is killing her confidence and she is then playing even worse. Advice?

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
http://www.asakc.org/pdf/2014/coachesmeeting14.pdf

NEW FOR 2015 – ASA registration will begin on Sept 1st and run
thru Aug 31st.

Ace Certification & Background Checks
Program which is run by the ASA National office and designed to provide
coaches with basic information & tools to assist them with coaching.
Teams who plan to participate in ASA National Qualifiers, State, Metro or
National tournaments must have at least 1 coach who is ACE certified
and all dugout coaches must have completed a background check.
Ace Certification & Background checks are done at:
www.registerasa.com
Coaches who take the Ace test are not required to take an additional
background check – it is already included in the cost.
Changes:
Certification for 2015 will begin on Sept 1st to coincide with the new
Registration period

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67