Advice to a young Aspiring Coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coach_jeffobi

1st Time Assistant Coach
Jan 17, 2010
Ontario, CA
Haha So like the title says, I've been getting more and more into the game of Fastpitch softball coaching over the past few years. I mostly coach my 3 sisters (2 jr & fr varsity players, and 1 9yo) no DD's just yet so I guess SS? Sadly no doors have opened up yet in the realms of assisting an actual team yet, but being 19 I'm sure I have some time ahead of me.

I guess if I were to get down to it, I want to know what ups and downs, ins and outs, I should expect in my path on becoming a great coach. I don't want to be an okay one, I don't want to do it as "weekend fun," I don't know what the future holds, but I know i have the passion to coach at an elite level. But that's a long time from now, so at the present what should i look out for?

-Jeff

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
This may seem like an obvious suggestion, but you would be suprised at the amount of coaches (and umpires) that do not know or understand the rules. In whatever organization that you are particpating in, get the official rule book. Read the book and study it. Have that book with you at every game. Make notes and have them on a seperate peice of laminated paper that you also carry with you. Good Luck.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
You can learn so much from Umpiring, this is a good route to
familiarize yourself with the game and observe both good and
bad coaches. Take just a little knowledge from each of the good
to help mold your coaching philosophies. Above all, be a very good
communicator, not just with the players, but also with the parents.
You are 19, know your boundaries!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I learn a lot from DVDs, such as Howard Kobota and I attend coaching clinics at U of Az.

I am taking for granted that you are male. My helpful hint is to make certain that you are never alone one on one with a team member and do not text, etc. with the girls. You have to be the leader, not a friend. There are many females that could accuse you unjustly of improper behavior.

Also, be fair to your sisters and don't play favorites.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Definitely agree with Amy, especially if you are coaching an older team. If you are helping with a 16U team, you definitely don't want to be alone with those kids or text messaging them. I regularly text my coaches, but they are much older. Leave the texting and informing to the head coaches.

I strongly suggest looking for a rec organization in your area, I'm sure there is somewhere that you could help out.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you really serious about becoming a great coach, the first thing you have to do is learn the game.

(1) Fastpitch isn't baseball. Go find a men's fastpitch team and play on it. They are few and far between, but they are around. Even if you never get on the field, you can learn a lot just be sitting and watching the game. It is one thing to tell a 16 YOA girl not to be afraid because the pitcher on the other team is fast. It is another when you *PERSONALLY* go up to the plate and don't even see the ball come out of the pitchers hand.

(2) Find the best girl's travel program in your area, and then ask if you can help "for free". Most likely you will be a gofer. But, you will be around the game.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Id say find a rec or even travel team with a successful experienced coach, and ask if you can be an assistant to learn the game. Even better is one that you have a relationship too such as your sisters teams. This means work, not coaching. You can hit balls for IF and OF so the coach can concentrate on teaching the players, and you can observe what and how he teaches, etc. You can catch for him in drills so every girl can have more drills instead of rotating thru catching up. You can have girls warmed up and ready to practice when he shows up. If you are trustworthy and dedicated, help will be both needed and appreciated.

Read the rules, observe, ask about strategy , attend every clinic you can on fastpitch coaching, teaching skills, etc for at least 10 yrs and eventually, you will get there. Also agree that umpiring is good, but that is also not same as coaching. The most important thing a good coach does is develop the right skills in players, theres no secrets, just proper teaching and repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition repetition, and also repetition.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Hi Jeff welcome aboard.

The advice so far has been perfect. I'm not far off from where you are at. I got involved with fastpitch 4 years ago when my DD started playing. I'm in my second year of being an assistant coach. I only wish I'd have found out how much fun it is to coach and and how rewarding an experiance it is when I was your age. I'm so jealous.

First let me hightlight what our resident ladies have already chimed in on. Never be alone with one of the girls. No private communications. Protect yourself and the girls from any incorrect perceptions or accusations.

Absolutely learn the rules specific to your organisation. Mudbug and Ray both hit on what I would suggest and that is volunteer to help with a team being coached by a successful and experienced coach. I'd be willing to bet one or all of your sisters teams would welcome the help of an enthusiastic young man. Watch how the coach interacts with the players. Learn what works and what doesn't. Go to tournaments your sisters arent't playing in and watch different coaches and study thier communcation style. Find several different ways to teach every fundimental skill.

Read everything you can get your hands on about fastpitch and coaching in general. Start building a DVD library of training matierials. Get your parents to send your sisters to every clinic you can and go with them. Watch listen and learn. KEEP READING THIS FORUM. Every new thing you learn is another problem you can fix. Eventually you'll have the tools to fix any problem.

Oh and I think mudbug missed a repetition or ten. Anything less than 20 is just phoning it in. :)

Oct 21, 2009
Going to games will show you one side of coaching. It will show you how coaches work with their finished product but practices is where great teams are made. Find the best coaches at each age level in your area. ASk them if you can help or observe some of their practices (they all have big egos they'll let you) observe the differences in instruction and how they have to handle the girls at the different ages. If you can observe both male and female coaches that might give you a different perspective.
When you prepare your team always work on preparing them for the next level not just the next game or tourny. 10U to 12U, 12U to 14U, 14U to HS, 16U to college.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Jeff,
Some great advice, above, especially about protecting yourself. One thing I would add is to go to some tourneys, especially elite tourneys (A or Gold Regionals or Nationals, if you can) or college games, and look for happy, successful teams (playing well under pressure, communicating with one another on the field, smiling). Sit and watch how the coaches interact with players, parents, umpires, and the opposition. Create an opportunity to talk with those coaches when you can--tell them some specific things that they do that you admire and ask them if they have any advice for an aspiring coach such as yourself. For example, "I like the way your girls swing the bat--what are some of the things you do to make them so consistent?'

I spent a week at 16A Nationals a few years ago, just watching, and learned a lot about temperament, game management, and communication that I was able to fold into my own practice. I also saw some coaches doing some negative things that I knew I did myself and realized that I needed to quit doing.

As you develop your coaching style and persona, don't be afraid to copy successful models, if possible. Steal as many ideas that you see working as you can. They won't all work for you, but many will catch on.

Good Luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes