Advice on cleats for catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD is a 16U catcher who plays high school and travel ball - so basically she is playing softball February - October. We are having problems finding quality metal cleats that will last. The last two seasons we have bought 3N2 Rally PT metals (we get the pitching toe because she is a relief pitcher so she throws in the backyard every other day). She loves the comfort (she has a very wide size 10 foot) and breathability of these cleats. However, for the second year in a row, the right foot has split clear across the bottom! I know that a catcher that is squatting puts extra stress on the bottom of the shoe but these cleats have literally only lasted 3.5 months (we are in Idaho so practices early in the season are all in a gym). I have contacted 3N2 but no response.

So I am looking at replacing her cleats with something other than 3N2s - as much as she loves the cleats I can't justify paying $85 for cleats that last a couple of months. Any advice on a new brand/model??? I bought her a pair of Ringors a couple of years ago but had to send them back because they were too narrow...

Jun 16, 2014
3n2's havent been very reliable on anything for years.

Try Mizunos, 9 spikes. Can always find older models for lil cheaper than $85. Or Adidas a lot of girls like those.

My kid (catcher) really loves her Tanel Liberty Low Cleat (but they non metal). Says traction is just as good as her metals, and super comfy.

Jun 19, 2013
I know our catchers wear Ringors with the pitching toe - it is so heavy duty it gives them extra protection. I don't know if they have any problem like you are talking about though.

Jan 24, 2009
Tanel Rev-D with the pitcher toe is a good catcher cleat. Ringor makes a tank, but the fit is tough to get right, and it is expensive to ship the trial and errors back and forth.

Apr 1, 2010
You might consider looking at men's metal cleats; her shoe size is large enough for her to look at a man's 8/8.5? They won't have the pitching toe, but men's shoes are built on a wider last. The standard women's width is B, while the standard for men's is C. Wide women's are usually D, but wide men's is EE. A wide man's shoe is wonderfully roomy for those who want more space.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In the past 5 years, I think I broke a toe 3 times, catching my students. I moved to toe protect Ringors and my problem was solved. I don't know if they come in metal or not. Yes, to Tanel, also. I had a young pitcher with foot and ankle problems, so I suggested those. She balked at first, because they are heavy, but she loves them, now.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Thanks for the information. I love the Tanels but they don't make them with metal cleats. And Ringors are just too narrow for her. Really like the 3N2s - the pitching toe offers her the extra protection and they are plenty wide. Just wish that they held up. So frustrating...

Oct 27, 2009
Not sure about the durability of these cleats yet but they are comfortable according to my DD and ultra super light. I found them on the Adidias website in the men's cleats. I believe they are the lightest shoe on the market and my DD just fly's around the bases in these. They have a padded collar with Velcro which helps to tuck the loops from the laces, which is an old trick I learned from my playing days. Getting a cleat caught on a loop can either trip you up or worse yet lead to an injury. They went back up a little in price but still a great value on an ultra light high quality cleat. The padded collar also offers comfort while in the squat and also from being spiked. DD was spiked in a tournament earlier in the season and it tore up her Mizuno's pretty badly.

adidas Adizero 5-Tool 2.5 Cleats

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Another vote for Ringors. My daughters have both worn the pitching toe model for years with no issues. This year, my 18U moved to the Bandit metal, which I was concerned about for its durability, but they are holding up very well indeed through 2 months of use. They still look like new.

Ringor has since come out with a Bandit with the pitching toe that might be perfect. Lightweight but with better toe protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid