Advantages of Big Name Organization???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2013
So you're saying that, if DD gets recruited/commits as a sophomore, the college she commits to would encourage her to change club teams for the duration of her HS career? Wow, I just constantly am learning new things! She thinks she's doing the right thing by staying loyal and keeping with the same club for years, and we like it, too (not as much fan gear to buy!).

If your daughter commits to a D1 school and her current club plays local/ regional tourneys it is very likely they would recommend she change teams. They want her playing against national level teams and practicing with kids of the same caliber. If she is wanting to prepare herself for success on the field in college, it would be in her best interest.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
So you're saying that, if DD gets recruited/commits as a sophomore, the college she commits to would encourage her to change club teams for the duration of her HS career? Wow, I just constantly am learning new things! She thinks she's doing the right thing by staying loyal and keeping with the same club for years, and we like it, too (not as much fan gear to buy!).

A lot depends on the expectations of the college coach. If a player commits to a D1 program that is a perennial top-25 team the coaching staff will probably want the player to face the toughest competition possible in order to prepare them to help the team their freshman year. It is also becoming popular for some of the top D1 schools to have "feeder programs" where coaches try to get a number of their recruits onto one TB team where they know the coaching staff will have similar philosophies. Auburn's relationship with the Thunderbolts is a good example of this.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
A lot depends on the expectations of the college coach. If a player commits to a D1 program that is a perennial top-25 team the coaching staff will probably want the player to face the toughest competition possible in order to prepare them to help the team their freshman year. It is also becoming popular for some of the top D1 schools to have "feeder programs" where coaches try to get a number of their recruits onto one TB team where they know the coaching staff will have similar philosophies. Auburn's relationship with the Thunderbolts is a good example of this.
Ok that makes sense. She's playing PGF Showcases and tournaments with her current club team, so as long as she stays that level it would probably be ok in our area. There are only a couple other clubs that play higher level and do consistently better against those teams.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
A lot depends on the expectations of the college coach. If a player commits to a D1 program that is a perennial top-25 team the coaching staff will probably want the player to face the toughest competition possible in order to prepare them to help the team their freshman year. It is also becoming popular for some of the top D1 schools to have "feeder programs" where coaches try to get a number of their recruits onto one TB team where they know the coaching staff will have similar philosophies. Auburn's relationship with the Thunderbolts is a good example of this.[/QUOTE

i don't want to be the devil's advocate guy but my DD has a completely different experience. She committed to a P5 in-state top 25 team and there are currently three other girls from our club team on this team including the conference freshman of the year last year. At no point did anyone in the coaching staff ever try to suggest where my DD plays travel ball. Her team plays only local and regional. We don't even know what the letters PGF stand for.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
i don't want to be the devil's advocate guy but my DD has a completely different experience. She committed to a P5 in-state top 25 team and there are currently three other girls from our club team on this team including the conference freshman of the year last year. At no point did anyone in the coaching staff ever try to suggest where my DD plays travel ball. Her team plays only local and regional. We don't even know what the letters PGF stand for.

Every college coach is different and if your DD is playing on a team with other P5 D1 commits and is facing teams with similar commits on a regular basis then she should be fine. But not every area of the country is blessed with top notch TB. That is why you see a lot of the top teams with players from different states.

I would also like to point out that while a lot of good teams play in PGF, it is NOT the only game in town. USA Elite, Triple Crown and JO Cup all draw top teams too. There are also still some top teams that play ASA Gold. My DD's team is not going to PGF this year because all the girls on the team are committed and the parents and coaches do not see a reason to spend a ton of money to go to CA.

Jun 12, 2015
Interesting about Auburn and the Thunderbolts. I didn't know that. I have always really liked Auburn softball but from what I've seen of the Thunderbolts' coaching philosophies in our age group, that somewhat changes my opinion of Auburn.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Interesting about Auburn and the Thunderbolts. I didn't know that. I have always really liked Auburn softball but from what I've seen of the Thunderbolts' coaching philosophies in our age group, that somewhat changes my opinion of Auburn.

The funny thing about the Thunderbolts is if you look at their marquee 18U Gold team it is chock FULL of girls committed to play in the SEC. Your first reaction would be "WOW, the Thunderbolts really know how to develop players and get their girls recruited", but if you peel back the layers you suddenly realize that 80% of the players on their marquee team transferred into the Thunderbolts organization AFTER they had committed to play for an SEC school.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Something else I will mention in case you did not realize it, Richard Shay, owner of the Thunderbolts organization, is a BIG reason Clint Myers and his sons are at Auburn. Casey Myers just left a position within the San Diego Padres organization to come back to Auburn to become a "Volunteer" assistant coach....things that make you go hmmmm

AUBURNTIGERS.COM :: Auburn University Official Athletic Site Auburn University Official Athletic Site :: Softball

Jun 12, 2015
You may remember one of the 05 girls running down my DD at 1B last year. Then later we played their 06 team and the parents were awful. Things like yelling "I've got it!" on pop ups to try to mess up our fielders. Then later I watched the 06 team play another team and one of their girls ran down the 2B for an obstruction call and again it was really over the top. Like, lucky the girl wasn't seriously hurt. It seems to repeat often enough to be coached behavior and it's across at least those 2 teams. I get the philosophy of trying to get the obstruction call but the violence with which they pursue it seems excessive for 10U and IMO, both dangerous and unethical. Could be entirely different in the older age groups, I don't know. So yeah, not a big TBolts fan here.

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
I agree with you. It certainly not a "one size fits all" way to get seen. But it does seem (to me) to tilt the favor in your direction to be on the larger orgs and the spot on the fields they have with these tourney directors.

My DD is not on a Big Org, but have done well enough to be on the good fields about half the time.
Ironman, I missed this comment earlier. Wanted to ask - how's the process going for your DD? Do you feel that the coaches are showing up when DD writes/calls? I think we're in a similar situation - playing on the good fields about half the time, replacing the divets and wondering where the fences are for the other half.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez