Action Pose

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
This is from 1st year 14s. This ump was one of my favorites to call a game. Very into his job.

I know this one has been seen before but it's my favorite. DW made it into a poster for my office. This is spring second year 14s.

Jun 16, 2014
pitch a foot in the wrong direction, even the ump closed his eyes

I love the eyes on this one...and can someone guess how many outs there are? I give props cuz at least she knows how many out there are..

Jun 16, 2014
kinda sad she wont be wearing her old gray Rawlings gear any more. Over 4 years aint bad for same gear but she grew too much and her new team is navy/gold.

Mar 31, 2014
DD's first year catching.
catching1.jpg

On a side note, we've been working on keeping her lower on her throws down to the bases with no luck. She does a good job of popping up but comes straight up and tall. Any good drills for keeping her low?
catching2.jpg

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If she's half as serious about catching as she looks in the pictures :cool:, I'd spend $40 for the NECC catcher's training DVD aka the catcher's bible.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
DD's first year catching.
View attachment 6447

On a side note, we've been working on keeping her lower on her throws down to the bases with no luck. She does a good job of popping up but comes straight up and tall. Any good drills for keeping her low?
View attachment 6448

A few notes...

Her receiving stance could be improved. What we want to see is her feet wider apart, toes pointed slightly up the lines, and heels on the ground. Creating a wider, more stable base makes for more consistent receiving. A wider stance also allows more lateral movement to reach pitches way off the plate. With a narrow, on-the-toes stance, the catcher can't reach very far without falling over.

When she comes up to a throwing position, is she jumping up, or shifting her feet? Jumping mean she goes up, and then back down, before she can throw. This is a slow movement pattern. A more efficient pattern (from a wider stance), includes sliding the right foot under the center of her body, and turning the instep to the target - all in one move, while rising out of the low stance. Once the right foot is planted, stride forward with the left and throw. Practice and practice until this is the normal pattern.
Avila_front.gif
Avila_rear_slomo.gif

If you're not familiar with it yet, I HIGHLY suggest getting the DVD from The New England Catching Camp. Around here, it is considered the "gold standard" for teaching proper catching techniques.

EDIT - It looks like her chest protector might be a little loose and flopping around. It should fit more like a compression shirt than an apron.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2014
View attachment 6447
First, as few said before, get her feet out wider.

Second, to help with speed getting glove/ball to hand. Move her hand to the side of her leg. If her legs are little wider apart, it will help shielding her hand from the ball.

Third, a big one, extend her glove out farther when she is making a target or receiving the ball. She needs to have her arm almost fully extended when she catches/frames a ball. Catch the ball out front instead of on her body.

If you look at the pics of my kid above, not to brag too much, there isn't many catchers her age that catch better than her behind the plate. Her downfalls are when she is throwing lol! Good form but wild arm.

View attachment 6448[/QUOTE]
First, I am firm believer in the positive step which is what Eric talked about. Drill I use is from squat position (stand 10ft away and underhand pitches to her) catch the ball, take first positive step, short, with right foot toward center of the body, then take 2nd step. Squat back down right after 2nd step and body is squared up to throw. Use drill below at the same time and will get her muscle memory going for 2 things...Do this about 5 times in a row at a slow pace then make them speed it up very time. Sometimes I even draw a line in the dirt so they concentrate on doing this drill straight.

Second, noticed her right hand is way above her head when she is throwing. I nicknamed this "Hi! I am Clare! look at me throw". DD hates it when I say it. Good drill I used on my DD and several other kids is when she catches it, bring the glove and right hand up together with her holding the ball, do not remove the ball until she has come up pass her head with them just a few inches off her right ear about same distance from her shoulder. It will help a ton with keeping her hand down, she is losing a lot of time taking the ball over her head. Plus it will help to shorten her throw.

Apr 1, 2010
Ok, I already posted some tb shots from this summer, but one of the high school moms is very talented with a camera, so I now have a some (IMO) beautiful pics she took.

sarahcatches1.jpgsarahcatchingholdingrunner1c1.jpgsarahcatchingleftybat1.jpgsarahcatchingleftybat3.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877