Acclimating to better pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I had to Opposite problem, we faced the slowest pitcher i have ever seen at 14u. My goodness it was a struggle.
Any tips for this? I play slow pitch, and play with Paid baseball players who struggle.

my first thought is do nothing, stay on course, but it seems to me, that if the girl throws change up, after change up, they should learn to adapt quicker.

Lots of schools of thoughts here .... move up in the batter's box (i.e., people doing this are generally targeting the "timing of the ball") ... initially look to hit the ball opposite field (i.e., people doing this are generally trying to trigger later) ... or simply reverse the Holy Grail (i.e., people doing this are attempting to use their same swing sequence, but timing the start of it the pitcher ... when you start 'earlier', you want to start 'slower' and when you start 'later', you want to start 'faster' ... those that go this approach generally focus on the synchronization of their sequence to the pitcher).

If you "do nothing", you may find yourself developing a "good team" that loses to team's with "not good pitching".

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I will cancel the future games with this team, and reschedule two game ASA Saturdays. Losing against them will not happen, we easily won batting 17.

I love all the ideas, but am im still not sure about practicing TO Much, but this does relate to the Change. Our games do not matter this part of the season, its all about prepairing for post season which i have only seen quality pitching.

Im thinking now, that hitting slow pitching might be important, even as i am typing this.

Mar 29, 2015
Thanks for the helpful thoughts. I like the suggestion to hire some pitchers to throw batting practice for them -- they certainly need to see more good pitching to become better at hitting it. The best part will be that it will free up the coaches to give them instruction in real time.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Thanks for the helpful thoughts. I like the suggestion to hire some pitchers to throw batting practice for them -- they certainly need to see more good pitching to become better at hitting it. The best part will be that it will free up the coaches to give them instruction in real time.

One of the only hitting type things i use a pitching machine for( maybe two now) is high velocity training. after the machine, over the high level live pitcher.

now i might use it for the reverse, slow pitching.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I will cancel the future games with this team, and reschedule two game ASA Saturdays. Losing against them will not happen, we easily won batting 17.

I love all the ideas, but am im still not sure about practicing TO Much, but this does relate to the Change. Our games do not matter this part of the season, its all about prepairing for post season which i have only seen quality pitching.

Im thinking now, that hitting slow pitching might be important, even as i am typing this.

Exactly, it is about getting better. What you don't want to do is subsidize crappy swings by facing 'bad pitching' where a 'crappy swing' will be effective.

Throw the kids into the deep end of the lake ... and then be there to help them learn how to swim.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Exactly, it is about getting better. What you don't want to do is subsidize crappy swings by facing 'bad pitching' where a 'crappy swing' will be effective.

Throw the kids into the deep end of the lake ... and then be there to help them learn how to swim.

Be careful who you take advise from.

His DD batted .163 in college , then quit the game.
Maybe the lake was too deep.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Poor SL ... having some envy issues again ... I understand why your daughter didn't receive a scholarship to play ball in college ... I saw the skills video that you had put together ... it had 'rec ball player' written all over it ... but honestly, IMO anyway, that was a good thing, because it helped things work out better for her ... as it did for my daughter, who went a different route and became a registered nurse.

As an FYI, I have assisted many young ladies gain entry into D1, D2, D3, NAIA and JUCO softball programs. The majority completed their softball programs. Personally, I am not 100% certain that is a great move for all of them ... but ultimately it is their decision, and I'm just helping them with their journey.

A short while back I received a phone call from a player that was hugely excited ... she wanted me to be the first to know that she accepted a full-ride offer to a D1 program. She was filled with happiness and extremely thankful for the help I've given her. And that there ... is what it is all about.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
They do great with coach pitch and machine pitch -- there's just something different about girl pitch at that level that they aren't comfortable with.

That "something different" is usually the prospect of being HBP.....

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA

I don't entirely agree with this. Hitting crappy pitching is a skill and much can be learned. Also, around these parts if your team is good enough and your lineup hits well enough, you better be able to hit junk because smart teams throw junkers at you if you can't.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
What drills or strategies do you suggest to get these girls back on track with their hitting?

I would focus on timing quite a bit, an oft-neglected ingredient. You can have crap mechanics but if you are on time you at least have a chance. If you are very late, all the mechanics in the world aren't going to save you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi