About bats passing "compression test"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2016
Hi, I need help.... I was looking for a Demarini composite bat for my daughter, but when I went to look at the reviews on one bat that I was interested in a lady had posted that she had purchased that bat for her daughter and everything was good until she went to a tournament and they didn't let her use it because the bat did not pass the "compression test" (whatever that is). The mom said she contacted the company and they said they did not make their bats to pass compression tests. I am a little worried now to spend money on a bat and my daughter not be able to use it in a tournament she's going to. Any information helps! Thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 2008
I seriously doubt they told the mom they didn't build bats to pass compression test since that is exactly how they are tested.

Jun 15, 2016
I have been looking around and I see that some bats say: Certification (98MPH): ASA, USSSA, NSA, ISA, SSUSA, ISF. If I get one that says that I should be good?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When we went to ASA Nationals last year they were compression testing all of the bats and we had several that failed on one tester and passed on another. Needless to say there is some variation in the testing equipment, but any bat that is ASA and USSSA thumbprint certified should pass a compression test if it has not been altered and is not cracked.

May 12, 2014
Spot on JAD. At Nationals in Missouri last year, I couldn't believe how many bats failed the test.

Mar 1, 2015
Last year at ASA 10u nationals a lot of bats were deemed "illegal." I mean A LOT. People with new CF8's that had less than 100 swings on them - tossed.

Turns out, the jack hole operating the machine, or maybe the machine itself, was not accurate. They finally fixed it after a bit, but it created some drama for a lot of teams. This was after several teams had 90% of their bats fail. Someone in charge finally boarded the clue bus and figured out something was rotten in Denmark.

Mar 21, 2013
As stated the bat may have been altered, cracked or could simply have been older and had a lot of use. We have had no problems with DD's CF6 (30/20) or CF8 (31/21) passing ASA National testing.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Same issue at 12U nationals. We had a girl take the wrapper off a CF8 while waiting in line and it failed. Demarinis composite material is laid in a different pattern during production. While ball exit speeds are the same the compression testing equipment will show they are too hot for use.

The ASA has a guide for testing that covers bats produced like this. The numbers they must hit on the gauge are lower than other bats while they still provide the same actual exit speed. Hopefully after last years debacle at all national sites they will know what they are doing this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06