A slight brag and a question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 27, 2015
My daughter just turned 11. She sat half the season and spent that time on crutches because of spraining the ligaments in her knee.

So tryouts were coming up quickly and a week before they started, she was given the go a head to try out, but no squating to catch for longer than 30 minutes or sprinting.

Went to the first tryout, a new team but the coach that conducted tryouts is great, we have seen the team managing staff around, and the new team is only 15 minutes from our house. Tryout finishes, she is offered a spot right then and there BUT coach wants her to continue trying out as my daughter in her opinion, needs to play on an A level team. So we say our thank yous and tell her we will keep her posted.

Second tryout, not even halfway over, coach comes over and says he has seen enough of her and we could feel free to leave knowing she has a spit on his team if we want it. We say thank you, head tp the car, and she says she doesn't really like the coach and did she have to play for him.

Third tryout, I am getting a little nervous. She was a little sore going in to it but she insists she will be fine. Goes out and plays her heart out. It is the team she most wanted to be on. Coach says he will email us after the tryout but he definitely wants her on his team. Emails later that night and says he wants her but not as a catcher. Every other team at that point has handed her the head catchers spot. Ge wants her for second base, something she has onlu ever played once. I questioned him about why he didn't want her to catch and he responded that although she is a lot better than his other two catchers, she is too tiny to be a catcher and he doesn't want her to get hurt.

Fourth tryout was private and they only had her work for about 30 minutes, offeres her the head catchers position, then hit us with the paperwork. Not only is there a strict no picking up for other teams policy but it comes with an almost $1900 price tag. We decided to keep looking.

Fifth tryout was canceled because of the rain but we received an email the next morning asking her to join the team. They said they know who she is and how she plays so she doesn't need to tryout. If she wants the position, it's hers.

Sixth tryout had to be rescheduled because of excessive heat but we got a late night phone call and had another invite.

So my brag is that she great at her tryouts, even though she has had 8 weeks off of playing softball. Question of the day, how do we pick which team is right for her? Our first option is out as they ended up not being able to find a coach for the age group.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Filter using the following steps:
1. Playing time at preferred position(s)
2. Quality of coaching
3. Team vibe/attitude

May 28, 2013
Team three, is the one she wants? Although the coach says he is worried about her size, My gut tells me, there is another reason. Probably one of the assistants kids (or hers/his) has that spot and they won't give it up?

Sep 27, 2015
Team three is the team she has wanted to play for for the last two years. This is the first year I have been able to financially afford it for her. However she is not willing to give up her catchers position as she has very high goals for herself as a catcher.

I have sent out emails asking for more information on all the other available teams, including playing time in her main position. So now it is a waiting game I think.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD's college coach, who might almost be 5' 0" stretching and in heels, was a D3 All American catcher. I wouldn't want to be the coach who tried to tell her she was too small to be a catcher.

Nov 18, 2013
I'd narrow down the list to the teams with the best coaches. A good coach will make sure she has an opportunity to catch. Not sure what part of country you're in, but there's likely only a handful of programs with a strong reputation for developing players. Arrange for a private workout with the one that sounds the most promising. Teams are rarely full when a girl like your DD comes along.

among the obvious variables, also consider things like if the girls have a conflict with a weekend trip to the cabin or a tourney, which will they choose? If ylur DD tries to pick a girl off at third is the ball more likely to be caught or head into left field. Will the LF back up the play? Will the team have a pitcher who can throw strikes? Finding a team with girls as dedicated as your DD will answer all these questions.

Best of luck in our search and I hope all goes well!

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
I think you might be defeating yourself and your DD. You scheduled six tryouts for an 11 YO 10U/12U? Make it easier on yourself and get educated on the organizations philosophy and successes before you hit the field. Then YOUR short list is 2 or 4 teams at the most for a tryout AFTER you've seen them (or have good info on) them (their coaches too) in action.

Otherwise than keeping her OPS ridiculously high with practice or/and lessons, EricFs 3 are as good as it gets. Keep your grades up.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Team three is the team she has wanted to play for for the last two years. This is the first year I have been able to financially afford it for her. However she is not willing to give up her catchers position as she has very high goals for herself as a catcher.

Have you tried talking to the coach and telling him that you wouldn't let her play a position that she's not capable of or where you think she would get hurt. If this is the team she really wants, and he's admitted she's the best of the three, I'd fight a bit longer for her before moving on.

Sep 27, 2015
We had 3 teams picked out to try out for and were invited to the other three. We have seen them around at tournaments a d are well respected teams. However invites are hard to get from them and when it was offered, we discussed it and agreed to try out.

We are going with the team closest to us. They are a great organization and in the last three years have really built up theor teams, plus the coaches are great.

She has an open invite from the others to join up in the Spring with them if things don't work out with the team she picked. The team she wanted did end up offering her the head catchers spot but it is a new coach and I want to see how he does with the team first.

So for now we enjoy fall games and we will just take it one day at a time :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad