A question on Ball and strike calls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2009
I’ve have talked to umpires in between innings early in the game when a catcher tells me were not getting calls at certain locations. I’m not saying auguring, ask were the pitcher is missing and how much and maybe for example your pitcher is throwing drops, say she is throwing drops and they may look out of the zone, but if you look close they come over the plate above the knee and say she needs to get this call to pitch effectively.

It has worked before for me, a ump needs to realize that by forcing a pitcher to throw down the middle puts that pitcher in harms way IMO.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Part of the problem that particular day was that her normal catcher
was out with strep throat. New catcher was not as seasoned at 'selling the pitch'.
#1 catcher will setup, pitcher hits target, catcher will freeze and sometimes go so far as look up
at PU when the pitch is clearly a strike.

Mar 13, 2010
I’ve have talked to umpires in between innings early in the game when a catcher tells me were not getting calls at certain locations. I’m not saying auguring, ask were the pitcher is missing and how much and maybe for example your pitcher is throwing drops, say she is throwing drops and they may look out of the zone, but if you look close they come over the plate above the knee and say she needs to get this call to pitch effectively.

It has worked before for me, a ump needs to realize that by forcing a pitcher to throw down the middle puts that pitcher in harms way IMO.
Could you explain just what you mean by that statement?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Could you explain just what you mean by that statement?

Good hitters will crush pitches down the middle of the plate. If a pitcher is consistently forced to put the ball in the middle of the plate, there will be more line drives up the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck