A Plea to you zone-stingy "Blues" out there....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
So in this era of batting getting better and the bats getting even much better than that:

Why are there still some umpires that only have a volleyball sized strike zone?!?!?

OK, under full disclosure mode here => Yes, my DD is a pitcher.

But c'mon. Any pitcher that is forced to throw only fastballs down the middle, below the elbows, and above the knees, is gonna get rocked or at least get thoroughly frustrated and question why they work so hard on movement pitches and "spots"....

Let's please start to give a little back to pitchers Huh?!?!?!? There is enough offense out there in the sport right now isn't there???

(Remember this is just to those ~10% of umps that really squeeze the zone this tight. I know, I am guessing it's only 10% but that's one game out of ten that DD & I lose clumps of hair on! :)

(DD had 6 walks in a game where she should have only had maybe 1.... so yes I am cranky....)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I know in our area the high zone is just about dead. Not sure if the intention is killing the rise or what.*
The corners "seem" to have expanded maybe an inch on each side, which is good for mine since she throws mostly screws and curves.*

But for pitchers who have trained and lived by the rise it sure must be VERY frustrating.*

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I haven't seen many college pitchers get a called strike on a rise ball since they are usually out of the zone, shoulder high. I thought the beauty of the rise was it showed like a very hittable pitch and got kids to chase it for strikes.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Just last week DD faced this type of Blue. He would not call a pitch that breaks over a corner, he would call where the ball hit the mitt. After the game she told me that once she figured that out, she had to go up and down and use the CU more. She ended up striking out 9, 8 of them swinging.

In a game earlier this year, Blue's zone was definately smaller for DD than it was for the opposing pitcher. After the game she asked Blue about it and was told "I'm helping you get ready for the next level".

It's pretty common for Blue's zone to extend "outside", occasionally into the batters box. DD LOVES Blue that does this!!!

There are some umpires that should not be behind the plate. BUT! The fact is that a good pitcher should be able to exploit Blue's zone, no matter where it is and how small/big it is.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I haven't seen many college pitchers get a called strike on a rise ball since they are usually out of the zone, shoulder high. I thought the beauty of the rise was it showed like a very hittable pitch and got kids to chase it for strikes.

Have you watched Dallas Escobedo (sp) pitch? She gets lots and lots of called strikes on her rise.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Just last week DD faced this type of Blue. He would not call a pitch that breaks over a corner, he would call where the ball hit the mitt. After the game she told me that once she figured that out, she had to go up and down and use the CU more. She ended up striking out 9, 8 of them swinging.

Wow...a pitcher that adjusted to the zone the umpire was calling instead of continually b*tching about it.....what a concept!

Not saying that there are not bad umpires out there...there are, just like there are bad players and coaches. But isn't one of the traits of a good player or coach the ability to adjust to game conditions?

Dec 7, 2011
Your right Ajay good players adjust.

But when there is an imbalance where an umpire just can't read breaking pitches and/or speed it just takes away from the better pitcher. That is where I really lose my mind.

But the general case I still make the plea => let's make it a little easier on the defense for a trend change in the world of softball.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
But when there is an imbalance where an umpire just can't read breaking pitches and/or speed it just takes away from the better pitcher. That is where I really lose my mind.

But the general case I still make the plea => let's make it a little easier on the defense for a trend change in the world of softball.

I agree, except for what's bold. When an umpire can't/won't read breaking pitches it forces the better pitcher to think, hit spots better and throw a smarter game. Dominant pitchers can become complacent and an umpire who calls the game different than most can be a good thing (as long as he/she is calling pitches the same for both sides.).

If you replace "better" with "lesser", I would agree completely with your post.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I like the ump with a tight strike zone a lot more than the guy who is calling nose to toes and 6 inches to either side of the plate with the occasional ball thrown in just to confuse kids .

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
J
In a game earlier this year, Blue's zone was definately smaller for DD than it was for the opposing pitcher. After the game she asked Blue about it and was told "I'm helping you get ready for the next level".

That isn't Blue's job and I wish the ones who think this way would stop thinking it is. What is the point of spending all that time becoming a better pitcher if they are going to take it away from you because you worked hard or they "are trying to keep it close/even things out".

And yes - there is nothing worse than an umpire who insists on calling only meatball pitches strikes or the 8U/10U rec umpire who insists that a pitcher who has been learning for all of 3 months throw it in a tiny box strike zone on the midget batter who has no real strike zone because she is barely 40" tall.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand