A little catching instructor advice please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I believe the focus points for NECC instruction (and mine) includes catcher safety, skill quality, conditioning and to know WHY they are using the skills being taught. First and foremost do not compromise on your catcher's safety. Then make sure your instructor is able to communicate the why's of everything they teach.... After that, you will find that your catcher will adapt all input and use it in a manner that works for her. She will need reminders to stay on track, but if they are willing to work hard, they will do well.

We had 2 catchers (both exceptional blockers) attend camps at University of Tennessee and the University of Missouri this summer. The coaches at Tennessee pulled my thirteen year old catcher out to the front of the group to demonstrate her blocking technique and told the rest of the group "This is exactly how we want you to block" (my catcher was thrilled!) At Mizzou, the coaches told my 12 year old blocker they wanted her falling forward on when she blocked. (Not what we teach) Both catchers exhibited the same blocking with different interpretations from coaches.

One of my college freshman attending a D1 (full ride) in Mississippi kept a journal of every lesson we had. Then practiced diligently. She never would crouch down like we showed her to in lessons though in no runner on... But she adapted what she was taught to work for her body.

Your catcher will have input from comp coaches, H/S coaches, instructors, well meaning parents and team mates. Not to mention H/S and college camps. By and large they will glean and use the skills that work well for them... As long as their instruction does not jeopardize their safety, (Throwing hand, knees, face, ect...) take it all in a remind them to keep working hard.

Here are two examples how the runner on stance is used by our catchers... (Both went to college on scholarships)

View attachment 4517 View attachment 4518

-Chaz

You are too modest Chaz. There are multitudes of D1 catchers as well as a number of MLBers who could stand to learn a few things from catchers that you and NECC have trained.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Recently DD transitioned from Pitcher to Catcher. When she told me of her interest in catching, I ordered the NECC video and studied their site as much as humanly possible. She has been working hard and progressing nicely. Recently, she was recruited to an "A" level TB team from a top organization in our area and it looks like she will be the #1 catcher. However, this organization has a catching instructor on staff who played the position from 10u TB all the way through D1 college which is available to the catchers for a very inexpensive fee. In no way are we forced to use her, nor is it recommended. She is just available to those that want to. We went for our first lesson today and I explained to her that I had taught DD the NECC way which she seemed to know and be amenable to. I thought that the instructor would probably tweak her in some areas that I may have missed. Instead she proceeded to change almost everything I had taught DD. A lot of what she had her do seemed much slower to me than the NECC way such as getting up from the dropped position on the knees for a throwdown. I'm not saying it was wrong, just that it seemed slower. This may have been due to DD just learning it and getting the feel for it but I don't think so. Of course there were things she taught which filled in some of the areas that I missed as well and really helped. It was truly a mixed bag; some very good and some not so good IMO. We have a lesson again next week but don't know if I want DD to continue with her. What would you do?

Yo - I'd cancel the next lesson. I've advised my DD not to deviate from what she's been taught by NECC unless she is faced with a "my way or the highway" college coach.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
While we're on the subject of catcher safety ...

What are the feelings about throwing hand location in the "runners on" stance? NECC teaches the throwing hand behind the mitt, but they are the only ones I see encouraging that. Chazbz1? Others?

Knock on wood, but behind the glove has been successful for my DD for over 5 years now.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
All of you have brought up many good points. As a parent first, I am concerned withh DD's safety the most and some of the things the instructor taught were IMO not safe. For example, during the runners on position, she taught the hand behind the back or shin guard which I have no problem with safety wise but it seems much slower to me to bring the hand all the way from behind the back or shin guard to retrieve the ball for a throwdown than if the hand were right behind the glove the way NECC teaches. Secondly, NECC teaches that when a catcher drops and blocks, the sole purpose is to stop the ball and keep it in front of them. At no time is the glove to move to try and field it and the other hand is behind the glove being protected by it. At leat that's what I got out of it. If I'm wrong, please correct me. The instructor told DD when she drops and blocks, she wants her right hand in the "alligator" position (for lack of a better term) in front of and above the glove so that DD has a chance to field the ball if it skips or bounces. This, I have a real problem with safety-wise. It seems to me that it is a good opportunity for broken fingers at the least on a bad bounce or if a hitter goes golfing. Also, as a coach, I think that this opens the door not only for a lack of blocking in younger ones, but is an opportunity for the ball to take a bad bounce off of the the glove or hand and get past the catcher.

I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to post. As many have said, I feel that the NECC way is the gold standard as well. After talking to DD, we have decided to continue with me working with her through the NECC video and downloads and cancel the lesson. As Chaz said, we will take away the good things she instructed and forget the rest. Now to find a NECC clinic or camp; somewhere within a 10 hour drive prefrably:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
What are the feelings about throwing hand location in the "runners on" stance? NECC teaches the throwing hand behind the mitt, but they are the only ones I see encouraging that.

We work with catchers to have hand behind the glove. When the hand is behind body or leg and runner breaks to steal, the throwing hand comes to glove preparing to throw. It's a great way to break a finger or tear up some tendons. If the hand stays behind the catcher until she receives the pitch, she has given the base runner an insurmountable head start. There is very little chance of throwing her out. The video below addresses this subject.

[video=youtube_share;VQd8n8-RbQA]http://youtu.be/VQd8n8-RbQA[/video]

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
The instructor told DD when she drops and blocks, she wants her right hand in the "alligator" position (for lack of a better term) in front of and above the glove so that DD has a chance to field the ball if it skips or bounces.

I'm with NECC and you on blocking. Our motto for our catchers is "Never let your pitcher see your throwing hand" (After the sign is given) is the pitcher can see it, the pitch can find it.... Fielding and trapping a blocked ball can result in finger damage just as much as a foul tip... It looks like it's video day.... In the video below we watch one of my best blocking catchers learn and hone her skills over the course of three seasons.

[video=youtube_share;SYBf2bV6FL4]http://youtu.be/SYBf2bV6FL4[/video]

Oct 10, 2011
DD goes to a semi-pro catcher for refinement of her skills. He recommends keeping the helmet on, mostly because a kid with a helmet on wont turn her head away from a throw from the OF. As pointed out, Molina keeps his mask on...good enough for me.

Seems like most coaches around here also say to keep the helmet on. Our HS catcher threw her helmet off this spring and later in the play ended up tripping over it and doing a face plant. Ended up with a concussion. I wasn't there to see it but that's how her dad explained it.

Dec 3, 2012
The NECC is made up of a staff of baseball players. Baseball and softball are two different sports when it comes to certain things. The game play is one of them. I would never let my athletes be taught by a baseball guy because they know baseball, not softball. I'm a guy and I grew up in a softball family understanding the ways of softball. When I played baseball, I was always the weird guy because I played baseball the way I taught softball. I've since hung up my cleats and started coaching softball. When baseball guys try to teach softball, it ruins the athlete.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The NECC is made up of a staff of baseball players. Baseball and softball are two different sports when it comes to certain things. The game play is one of them. I would never let my athletes be taught by a baseball guy because they know baseball, not softball. I'm a guy and I grew up in a softball family understanding the ways of softball. When I played baseball, I was always the weird guy because I played baseball the way I taught softball. I've since hung up my cleats and started coaching softball. When baseball guys try to teach softball, it ruins the athlete.

Have you spent any time with the NECC material (DVD, online info, attended a camp, etc.)? What are your specific issues with what NECC teaches for softball catchers?

Edit:
A lot of DFP'ers (including myself) have watched the NECC DVD, which includes demonstrations with both baseball and softball players, and found the material to be spectacular. DFP'ers whose DDs have attended the NECC camps have unanimously voiced the same opinion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kograd